Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: High ping spikes, strong signal up/down, little to no packetloss.  (Read 3460 times)

Roseband

Topic Starter

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
To start off, I'm not great with this stuff but if you tell me what to do and can give me a fair description of what I'm looking for I can get whatever information is needed.

Problem: For the last month and a half to two months I have been experiencing high ping in-game at around 5-10 second intervals. First noticed in CS:GO, lagging into/around corners, people momentarily appearing out of thin air, etc for a very brief moment before having 5-10 seconds of normal play. Tested in non-steam games (Diablo 3, LoL, browser based games, etc), all have the same issue. Specifically in-game in CS:GO, my ping previously hovered around 35-50ms, and now hangs around the high 80s-90s and when a spike happens, can reach 150ms.

Pinging 8.8.8.8 for 5 minutes....

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
    Packets: Sent = 283, Received = 283, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 19ms, Maximum = 983ms, Average = 73ms
Control-C

Checking with various speedtest websites, namely Ookla, my ping says 28ms, down is around 60Mbps, and up is around 10Mbps. Services such as Youtube and Netflix do not appear to be affected by this (no hiccups while streaming HD, no quality degradation).

My ISP is Cox, and after a month of talking with them we have replaced; ethernet cord from gateway to PC, the gateway itself, the coax from gateway to wall, the wall plate, the pieces in the wall, the cable outside, the "tap line", and installed a filter on another resident's line that was back-feeding. Essentially, aside from replacing the entire box outside and the hardlines from here to wherever the lines typically go 'everything' has been replaced to no avail. At that point, it was suggested that my network adapter had failed. I was already planning a new build so I went ahead and replaced the motherboard (and tower) because, why not? Couldn't hurt, was going to do it eventually anyway. That still did not fix the issue.

The only other connection I have is at my parents house 30minutes away, so I relocated my setup there temporarily to test the connection there and it works perfectly.

I don't know the previous gateway, it was some type of netgear, but the current gateway is a Cisco DPC3825 DOCSIS 3.0 Gateway.

Computer Build;

CPU; Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Old Mobo; Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H ATX LGA1150 Mobo
New Mobo; MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Mobo
RAM; Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1600
Storage; Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Storage; Western Digital Blue 3TB 3.5:" 5400RPM
Video; Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB WINDFORCE
Old Case; NZXT Source 210 Elite ATX Mid (Not sure if this matters but just in case! No pun intended)
New Case; NZXT Phantom ATX Full
Power; EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical; Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

Operating System was originally a registered copy of Windows 7 before the Windows 10 upgrades came out last year, and it's now on a registered Windows 10 copy.

Any help is appreciated, neither I or Cox can figure out what is going on. Let me know what other info you guys need.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: High ping spikes, strong signal up/down, little to no packetloss.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 02:49:38 PM »
The only other connection I have is at my parents house 30minutes away, so I relocated my setup there temporarily to test the connection there and it works perfectly.

With nothing else active on your home network Smart TV, portable devices, other computers, etc, and no one squatting/stealing internet on your wifi to consume bandwidth?

Then it sounds like a battle between Customer and ISP. I'd have them perform a loopback test and test for latency and dB strength of signal. Additionally have them make a house call and show the technician that arrives the problem.

I had a similar problem years ago and after 5 service calls a tech came from Adelphia ( now comcast ) and replaced the cable between my home and the pole. the cable was 20 years old and not quite rated for broadband. This fixed my issue. I also had times where the sun would heat up the cable and I would lose internet and it would cool and internet would come back but my pings were all over the place from 83ms to 2000ms to lost pings etc. It was fixed for me with new wire to home installed by my ISP.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 03:31:42 PM »
You said:
Problem: For the last month and a half to two months I have been experiencing high ping in-game at around 5-10 second intervals.

Do you think it was better when using Windows 7?

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 04:16:42 PM »
Do you think it was better when using Windows 7?

They stated below that ruled out the computer as the cause... relocating it the problem goes away.  :)