Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Choosing a VPN or PIA  (Read 5412 times)

xfiles63

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
    Choosing a VPN or PIA
    « on: June 04, 2016, 04:14:06 PM »
    Not sure if this is where this belongs if not please move to apropiate topic area.

I need help choosing a VPN or PIA.
    There are so many of them out there they boggle my mind and Im having a difficult time trying to choose one.
    I have looked at safer web which is how I became aware of using a VPN.
    I looked at Cnets reviews and and whole bunch of other ones.
    Im looking for better internet safety,security and a VPN or PIA that offers a good monthly price and speed for multiple devices.
    Thank you Aaron

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Choosing a VPN or PIA
    « Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 04:46:04 PM »
    You really don't need to use a VPN to obtain "better security" - By using a VPN you route all your internet traffic through a third party's machines, this is potentially worse from a security perspective as they can technically sniff all of your traffic.  Of course the companies trying to sell these services push them as some sort of magical security thing that everyone needs but in actual fact the only real reason people need to use services like that is to hide malicious activity or to get around restrictions. It's also important to note that routing traffic through a VPN will lower performance quite considerably.  The only genuine use I can see for services like that is when browsing on an unsecured WiFi network like in a coffee shop/airport, it's not the sort of thing you need on a trusted home or work connection.

xfiles63

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 01:22:35 PM »
      This is the problem I dont believe my wired network is secure,I was checking internet connections on my router and found a phone connected to my internet.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 04:01:31 PM »
      Then secure it. Using a VPN because you found somebody else using your wireless network is like getting a new phone number because you found somebody living in your closet.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 06:05:19 PM »
      I presume you mean wireless.  If so, make sure it is secured using decent WPA2 encryption with a strong key.  Using a VPN is not the solution.

xfiles63

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 02:45:52 PM »
        No I was not wireless somebody was on my wired network.Right now Im using Operas browser with the built in VPN till I can find another.

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 03:11:05 PM »
        How can someone be on your wired network?  This means someone has somehow physically plugged a cable into your router.

xfiles63

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 08:42:54 AM »
          Or they rerouted the line some where.I use a prgram called Angry IP scanner and have found other devices connected to my wired network.

camerongray

Expert
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 01:22:59 PM »
          If they did that you would see the cable, they would have to somehow break into your house and route a cable from your router.  I've never heard of anyone doing this, it just isnt practical.

Just because you see IPs that aren't your computer doesn't mean there's an issue.  That scanner will show PCs, phones, tablets, set top boxes, smart TVs and even more things that you probably forget are connected to your network in some way. I mean, nowadays you can get network connected lightbulbs!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 02:43:43 PM »
          When any device is shared on your local network, it can have an IP that looks like the the same kind of IP number used on the Ethernet. Manny routers do not di ayg nothing to make it clean that a device is wireless. A tablet or smartphone may continue to beacon itself to the router even when you think it is off.

Do a little bet of detective work and find out whee the device is located. You may find it is a tabled in your teenager's room that is in the idle state.  :)

xfiles63

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 09:37:23 AM »
            Nobody around me is wireless my neighbor is comcast and have no teen agers.I went into windows network settings and found a phone connected into my network.I booted it off and has`nt been back since.I have 3 devices and sometimes my program will show 4 or 5 devices connected to my wired network..Theres no wireless hot spots near me and my routers wireless mode is shut off.So someone is hacking into my network I *censored* ume

camerongray

Expert
              • Yes
            « Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 10:35:04 AM »
            Nobody around me is wireless my neighbor is comcast and have no teen agers.I went into windows network settings and found a phone connected into my network.I booted it off and has`nt been back since.I have 3 devices and sometimes my program will show 4 or 5 devices connected to my wired network..Theres no wireless hot spots near me and my routers wireless mode is shut off.So someone is hacking into my network I *censored* ume
            Windows network settings showed a phone on your network and you kicked it off?  That makes no sense, it was probably just a network connection created within Windows by some piece of software or created by someone connecting their phone to the PC over USB.  Windows does not list devices connected to the network and let you kick them off.  If your WiFi is shut off, unless someone is secretly running cables to your router which, let's face it, isn't happening, nobody is hacking your network and you have nothing to worry about.

xfiles63

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2016, 09:30:24 AM »
              Im telling you someone or other devices are and or have been connected to my wired network.
              with Angry IP scanner I can block the IP of the the unkown connection

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #13 on: July 09, 2016, 11:58:54 AM »
              with Angry IP scanner I can block the IP of the the unkown connection
              No it cannot. It has no such feature.
              I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

xfiles63

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2016, 06:47:02 PM »
                Ok We can argue about someone being on my net work and what a program can and can not do can we please get back to the topic ::)I want a vpn so which one would be a good one to get?

thank you