Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Linux Mint won't load  (Read 9139 times)

CrewRite

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Experience: Familiar
    Linux Mint won't load
    « on: June 09, 2016, 03:41:51 PM »
    I put the newest Linux Mint 64 on a flash drive and when I hit enter on Start Linux Mint, it says end kernal panic and all sorts of messages, at the same time the caps lock blinks.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Linux Mint won't load
    « Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 04:22:23 PM »
    What CPU are you running this on and how much RAM? Or make/model computer?

Was this thumb drive booted onto a different system before being brought to the current system that crash dumps the kernel? (* The system that the thumb drive boots on, depending on how you have it set up, it can inherrit hardware profile from prior system that it was run on and crash on a different computer. So after creating it its best that the system that it first boots on is the same system that flash drive is paired with for as long as its to be used as a pair. I have seen problems myself with Linux Mint on a thumb drive where its first boot is on a Core 2 Duo Laptop and then the next boot an AMD Athlon laptop and the laptop for the AMD Athlon crashes at the kernel. Yet if I take this thumb drive and make it new, it boots and runs fine on the AMD system, and then move it to the Core 2 Duo and it crashes there.)

Have you tried a different flash drive to rule out the flash drive as the cause?

CrewRite

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 04:49:31 PM »
      It has 3gb of ddr3 ram.  AMD Vision dual core.  HP g62 320ca.

The flash drive was formatted before I put Linux Mint on it to NTFS.  Than used Universal Usb Installer to get Linux Mint on the flash drive.  All this was done on another Windows 8.1 machine.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 06:33:36 AM »
      Do you have a different USB flash drive to try? Some have issues as working as bootable drives.

CrewRite

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 02:14:32 PM »
        Re-downloaded 17.3 from the primary download that Mint themselves provide instead of the mirrors.  I than used a different program that Ubuntu recommends (rufus) for transferring the ISO onto the usb.  The program claimed that NTFS was incompatible.  Anyway it formatted as FAT32 and finally did boot into the Mint desktop.

There are still some minor issues with Mint, but its on the desktop.

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 03:56:38 PM »
        Good to hear you found a work around. I have had some of the USB sticks fail to run as Bootable Sticks due to memory controller on the USB stick or something similar. It seems like the ones that have a crystal clock on them are more compatible with being used as a bootable thumb drive vs ones that have a clock (timer) chip. But most thumb drives are hidden from view for the internal circuit board. But when i see the ones for sale that have the clear plastic to see inside the metal body of a crystal I know with almost 100% certainty that they will work well with being used as a Live Linux Drive. The cheap Sandisks I have had issues with. But others like PNY and Kingston work ok.