Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how to assign different ip addresses to mobile devices in domain  (Read 3883 times)

coorona

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    hi
    I have a domain which include computers and VOIP telephones and Laptops and cellphones, now what I wanna do is to assign different ip addresses to cellphones and laptops and pretty much every devices that connect to my domain through wi-fi. how can i do it? is there a way to do it through DHCP? could active directory say the difference between the pcs and wireless devices?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: how to assign different ip addresses to mobile devices in domain
    « Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 05:46:24 AM »
    In the past I have used reservations.... you gather mac addresses of the devices and then specify what IP you want each device to get. You do this in DHCP. This way workstations would be on x.x.x.10 through x.x.x.200 and printers and other wireless devices would be on x.x.x.201 thru 240 and, network hardware that needed static IP addresses would be on 241 thru 254 as well as 1 thru 9 for routers etc.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: how to assign different ip addresses to mobile devices in domain
    « Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 05:47:39 AM »
    This is a pretty complex thing to set up - You can't just automatically figure out what a device is and assign an IP accordingly (at least in a way that would work reliably.

It would help if you detailed how the network is structured entirely.  I can't speak from the perspective of Windows Server/Active Directory as I don't use Windows Servers myself however I've done this before with UNIX-based networks.  What sort of router do you have as this is a pretty advanced thing you are trying to do and will require a pretty high end router?  It would also help if you explained why you want to set this up, e.g. for security to keep wireless devices separate from wired PCs and VoIP phones.

So you want the devices connecting over WiFi to be kept separate on a different subnet from those on a wired connection?  For this you would want to have the access point and network switch connected to the router on separate interfaces - If the router only has one interface to the LAN you would need to look into using VLANs which would also require you to get a VLAN capable switch.  You would then need to configure your switch such that the access point's port is on a separate VLAN from the wired PCs.  You would then need to configure your router's DHCP server to assign different subnets on each interface and configure the firewall appropriately to allow/block traffic between the wireless and wired devices.

If you want to keep different types of wireless devices separate from each other as well, e.g. so cell phones and laptops are on different subnets, you would then need an access point that is capable of supporting VLANs.  You would then set this up to broadcast multiple SSIDs (e.g. one for cellphones, one for laptops) where each of these is on it's own VLAN.  You would then configure the router accordingly.