Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Gigabit Switch Question with 100mbps systems connected to it  (Read 2697 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Just got a great deal on 2 qty Netgear 8-port 1000mbps ( gigabit ) switches at 50% off at Newegg. I installed one of them last night in place of a 100mbps switch.

Question I have is, if I have 2 computers performing a file transfer at 100mbps to each other through this switch, and another (3rd) computer on this same switch at 100mbps is connected to it, is 90% of the bandwidth 900mbps still available with 100mbps between the 2 systems in use or does this switch drop to 100mbps with all devices connected to it 100 and no 1000mbps devices connected.

I am hoping that this gigabit switch will be the fact that 90% is still available to that there is no network congestion for a lone computer that wants to get through this 1000mbps switch outbound to internet. I havent done any bandwidth testing yet, but figured I'd check here vs going through all that since this should be a quick thing to have answered.

Here is the actual switch i bought 2 of in case there is some feature that is required to have it operate to having 90% of bandwidth still available with 2 devices at 100mbps doing a file transfer. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122609&cm_re=netgear_8-port_switch-_-33-122-609-_-Product

I held off doing the upgrade to gigabit for years thinking there isnt much to gain since internet broadband is 25/5 and all systems are 100mbps, but teh deal to get 2 of these for the price of one, i couldnt resist the cheap network upgrade. But then i got thinking I wonder if it means now with 2 systems in a file transfer of 100mbps, if 900mbps bandwidth is still available or because all devices are 100mbps thru this switch if the switch will only sync at 100 and run at 100 with no bandwidth advantage because no devices are utilizing the 1000mbps.

In the past, transferring large files over 100mbps congested the network as this is a main traffic point between 7 devices on 100mbps connections. I am hoping this gigabit switch rated for 1000 will have 900mbps bandwidth processing time available etc to act as if there is no slow down to the 3rd computer with 2 other computers all out file transferring. The 100mbps switch a Trendnet brand one I had prior would bottleneck all bandwidth with 2 systems transferring data at 100mbps and web pages would load slow on the 3rd computer trying to have its data competing with the 2 other systems that are all out transferring packets.

This is the switch I had prior that congests when 2 systems are in a file transfer so all others struggle with bandwidth out to the web etc. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156266&cm_re=Trendnet_8_port-_-33-156-266-_-Product

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
Re: Gigabit Switch Question with 100mbps systems connected to it
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 07:58:12 AM »
Switches don't reserve capacity so it doesn't make a difference in the speed of devices that are connected.  In your situation with a pair of gigabit devices, connecting a 100mbit device will make no difference to the speed at which the gigabit devices can communicate - I've even had 10baseT devices hooked up to my gigabit network with no adverse effects.

A decent switch should have the capacity to allow a full duplex transfer between every pair of devices to happen at the same time at the same speed.  For example, my 24port Gigabit switch (HP Procurve 1800-24g) has a switching capacity of 48gbps.  This means that I could connect 24 devices and have each pair of devices make a full duplex transfer between themselves at 1gbps both ways.

The congestion point won't be the switch itself, it'll be the link between the switch and whatever upstream device it is connected to.  That said, the capacity isn't divided based on the number of and speed of devices connected to the switch, it's just done automatically based on how much data is being transferred down each link - If two gigabit devices try to pull data from the same third device, each of them will get around 500mbit bandwidth.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
Re: Gigabit Switch Question with 100mbps systems connected to it
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 01:26:04 PM »
Cool... Thanks for clarifying this camerongray