Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wifi barely working, Network Adapter might be the culprit.  (Read 3224 times)

Mustbe_Aweful

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    Wifi barely working, Network Adapter might be the culprit.
    « on: June 24, 2016, 10:14:47 PM »
    I have a wireless internet connection that has been almost unusable to me for over a month. I am sometimes able to get onto a page on my browser, sometimes it takes 10-20 minutes to load a page, other days are better. I have better access on my cell phone, and my house-mates don't have the same problem that I do, so my problem is certainly my computer.

Details about my computer:
    Windows 10  v.1511
    64-bit OS
    RAM 8GB
    Intel Core i3-4150 @ 3.50 GHz

Things I've tried in order to fix my computer's ability to use wireless internet:
    • Turned the router on and off a few times.
         Result: No difference.
    • Checked for viruses.
         Result: AVG updated and scan with no viruses, McAfee Security updated and scan with no    viruses, Windows is up to date.
    • Start->run->cmd:  “ipconfig/all”
         Result: IP address = 192.x.x.x
         DNS = 64.x.x.x
         “ping 127.0.0.1” = sent 4, received 4, lost 0
    • Unchecked everything in LAN Settings.
    • Updated driver software for Intel.
         Result: “The best driver software for your device is already installed.”
    • Reset settings on Chrome.
    • Check ICP/TP Settings
         Result: “Obtain an IP address automatically / Obtain a DNS Server automatically.”
    • "ipconfig /flushdns"
         Result: No difference
    • WINSOCK reset
    • Completed Wifi diagnostics.
         Result: It says that my issue is the wireless network adapter. I may be imagining this, but it seems like consistently clicking the diagnostic/fixing tool in Network Connections is actually correcting the issue temporarily.
    • In Device Manager, I go through all of the Network Adapters (I have 10, most WAN miniports), and they all say that they're working properly. I try to Update Driver Software, but they all say that they're up to date. When I do the Diagnostic, the details suggest the problem is with the TP-LINK.
    • “Network adapters:
      Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) 1218-V
      TP-LINK 300MBps Wireless N Adapter
      WAN Miniport (IKEv2)
      WAN Miniport (IP)
      WAN Miniport (Ipv6)
      WAN Miniport (L2TP)
      WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)
      WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
      WAN Miniport (PPTP)
      WAN Miniport (SSTP)
    Right now I'm repeatedly clicking “Diagnose this connection” in order to get some kind of consistency from my wireless connection. Whether it's all in my head or not, this seems to be the best I can do, and it doesn't always work.[/list]
    « Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 10:32:59 PM by Mustbe_Aweful »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Wifi barely working, Network Adapter might be the culprit.
    « Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 11:14:16 PM »
    Please explain one thing. Are you using both an Ethernet connection and Wi-Fi card at the sometime on one computer?
    Normally you would use one or the other, but not both.
    The Ethernet connection is  my choice. But if I want to verify that a Wi-Fi device is good, I disable the Ethernet.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/products/windows?os=windows-10
    OR:
    http://internethelp.centurylink.com/internethelp/os-windows-10-network-adapter-enable.html

Mustbe_Aweful

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 07:03:42 PM »
      Are you using both an Ethernet connection and Wi-Fi card at the sometime on one computer?

No. I'm only using my WiFi connection. My Ethernet is disabled.

Also, I seemed to be imagining things with hitting that diagnose connection button over and over because it is not working for me today.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 11:22:03 AM »
      This is from dictation.
      There are some additional things you might consider. The fact that it works for a while but then stops working is not usually of software related problem unless there is some other task in your system that interferes with your network software settings. If so, it would be some kind of network application that tries to work in the background and wants to take control of the network connection.
      You can try booting in safe mode with networking and see if you get a good connection in that configuration. Also, you may wish to create a new user account, login to the new user account and set up your wireless adapter again. Normally each user has to have his own access to a wireless device. So that will give you an opportunity to set up the wireless interface once again.
      Another issue is the password security features being used presently. In the past, and even still, the password security features cause me a lot of pain in the lower part of my body. In some cases you may have to relax the wireless security level, perhaps using an older wireless security method. Of course, the danger of that is that somebody could eavesdrop on your conversations and perhaps even getting your computer. So if you do reduce the security level of the wireless, be extremely careful when you do it and don't leave it on in that condition for very long.
      If you have another computer or even a tablet at hand, you can check out see how your tablet, smart phone or laptop does with the wireless.
      There's a good chance the trouble is with the wireless adapter itself. What I have done is use a cheap wireless adapter I got off of eBay. You can get these things for sometimes less than six dollars and the seem to work as good as the higher-priced ones. In fact, I have a wireless adapter now that actually works better than my Ethernet connection. I believe that adapter is for sale on eBay from overseas and goes for about for five dollars.
      Number one thing I am not sure about is the use of 64-bit drivers. For quite a while 64-bit drivers are not available for many of the low cost Wi-Fi interface.
      Another thing you can try, only for diagnostic purposes, is to boot up one of the live CDs that are available. These live CDs could be something like Ubuntu Linuxor Mint Linux. You just boot them up in demo mode and they do not require any space on your hard drive. They work in memory alone and even can do Wi-Fi access. So if you can get into your network reliably using a Linux boot disk, that would suggest something is wrong with your Windows Wi-Fi configuration. But if the connection proves to be unreliable even with the Linux demo disc, it would suggest that the trouble really is in the wireless adapter itself.
      That is about the best I can do for now.

Mustbe_Aweful

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 04:31:13 PM »
        Sorry for the long awaited reply.

I believed from your suggestion that the issue is most likely that the adapter needs changing, so I peered inside of my computer to check on it, only to find that my internet started to work. I feel rather embarrassed about this, but my issue seems to be that where I position my computer is in not the best receiving area for Wi-Fi. Rather than mess with my limited fung-shway, I bought an antenna to attach to my adapter. It works fine now, for the most part; and when my internet has difficulty I simply move it out until it starts working again. Perhaps not the most effective, but it works.

Thank you for all of your suggestions. They have helped me to solve my problem. In return I hope you accept a little piece of art from me as a token of my gratitude. Once I got my Wi-Fi working again I was able to download the software in order to make this. Thanks, Geek-9pm.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 11:26:00 AM »
        Thanks for the art work.  :)