Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: About Comcast Internet essentials. Review  (Read 13612 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
About Comcast Internet essentials. Review
« on: June 28, 2016, 10:10:58 PM »
Using Dragon NaturallySpeaking.

My personal experience with Comcast Internet essentials.

In a word: Excellent. In fact, far above the ordinary. The technician had to come out to my house and replace a very long drop wire because the cable was very old and damaged. No charge and he worked for over an hour to get everything set right.

No problem with the modem. In fact, it is not just a cable modem. It is a true Wi-Fi router suitable for home use. The user interface for this router is super simple and has a graphical user interface that most people should catch onto right away. I really didn't have to look at the documentation, although I guess now I should have. Finally had to look it up to see where I could change the wireless password. Very simple, it's under the section called Wi-Fi. Don't know why I didn't think of that.
Anyway, it really works good.
As you already know the Internet essentials from Comcast is a special deal for people who are on the low wind of the economic ladder. That's me, I've been retired now for several years and I'm living on almost exclusively my Social Security. My daughter and her husband and their daughter are living with us. The grandchild goes to an elementary school that has a lunch program. So that qualifies our household to receive the Comcast Internet essentials. Now we have an Internet connection that runs about 15 Mb on downloads. Now that may not sound very fast, but consider the cost. It is just under $10 a month. Actually, $9.95 to be exact. This is the same Bill for every month and there is no contract involved and no upfront installation costs. I did not have to pay for the modem. And as mentioned, it is a new state-of-the-art modem that Comcast does use for its high-priced customers. So yes, I am extremely satisfied with the service I received from Comcast. Best deal ever. (In the past I have used  Digital Path, AT&T, Comcast and my Android phone for access to the Internet.
But in order to get the service in your area, the must already be an existing Comcast drop wire going to your house. So if you had Comcast a few years back and the cable is still there, you might qualify if you are now in the low income bracket and have a child in your household that goes to an elementary school with a lunch program.
Now please don't tell me this is a waste of taxpayer money. Today people have to have some kind of communication system in their home the goes beyond just radio and TV. The elementary schools are not getting into Internet for the children. Some of the kids will be expected to have their parents help them do research over the Internet on current topics that are being considered at school. Yes, there is a public library here in town. But you have to have a car and running condition to get there and back. In this community there are many parents that just cannot take the time to take their child to the public library and spend a couple of hours there and then drive back home. And don't talk to me about bus service. This is Northern California and this community is a semi rural sprawl with very limited public transportation.
Actually, I have no idea of how much of this is sponsored by the government. As far as I know, Comcast is footing the bill by itself. If anybody out there knows more about this, please post a comment.   :D