Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Should I be getting higher fps?  (Read 7620 times)

SnakeShot500

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Should I be getting higher fps?
    « on: July 03, 2016, 05:36:13 AM »
    Hi there, ill try to keep this detailed and describe it with my slightly limited knowledge of computers. I have 2 computers in my household, a macbook pro and a desktop pc. Naturally, I thought my desktop would be better for gaming, but here are the specs for both:

2011 Macbook Pro:
    Intel Core Duo 2.4 GHz
    GeForce 320M 256mb
    4GB Ram

Pc:
    AMD A4-5000
    GeForce GT620 1024mb
    6GB Ram

I use minecraft as a sort of benchmark for both pcs. The macbook gets around 20-30 fps usually, and the pc on same settings gets anywhere from 30-60. I then decided to get Counter Strike Global Offensive on both systems. When the mac got about 15-25 fps, I decided the pc must get better frames. However U was shocked to notice stuttering while playing and fps stayed a low 7-12 fps, even on minimum settings making it unplayable. I updated the nvidia graphics driver but it had no effect. I am wondering, should my pc be getting these low frames? Or is there a problem? Thanks

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Should I be getting higher fps?
    « Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 09:57:42 AM »
    Have you tried possible fixes as suggested in google hits for CS-GO?

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=counter+strike+go+fps+issues

1n2ui7ion

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 09:50:35 AM »
      I hope you're trolling right now or joking, because those specs will blow up your pc if you try to run Cs:Go.   PC gaming is not cheap!  I keep telling everyone this.  If you want good things, save up for it.  A gaming pc should be around 1300$-2000$...anything else would be a budget build and budget builds don't last very long. you will need to keep upgrading .  Be will to spend the money if you want to be a pc gamer .

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 09:55:44 AM »
      I hope you're trolling right now or joking, because those specs will blow up your pc if you try to run Cs:Go.   PC gaming is not cheap!  I keep telling everyone this.  If you want good things, save up for it.  A gaming pc should be around 1300$-2000$...anything else would be a budget build and budget builds don't last very long. you will need to keep upgrading .  Be will to spend the money if you want to be a pc gamer .

Please stop telling people they need to spend more money in order to get a better computer .... at least on this forum.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 12:03:03 PM »
      I'd expect much better performance given how it runs better on a demonstrably less powerful system.

Hard to say why it's not running well, though.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 01:58:09 PM »
      They ( 1n2ui7ion ) resurrected this from July 2016 .... never heard back from originator.  :-\

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 02:43:03 PM »
      Ah, oops. Didn't notice that.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 12:26:48 AM »
      What a professional and graceful exit. Would you believe he's 28?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 12:15:37 PM »
      What a professional and graceful exit. Would you believe he's 28?
      That's gamers for you. I never heard "get off my d**k" before. I might use that.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 11:38:59 AM »
      Flagged this for a mod to kill it off and remove the nasty comment thrown at Allan. Shakes my head at how stupid this guy was, and for 28 he acted like he is 13.  ::)   Hopefully his Rage Quit is permanent.

Additionally his comment:

Shakes my head at the fact that his statement is wasteful with money. Money spend never guarantees longevity of the build. I have seen many people dump that kind of money $1300-$2000 into systems before and get 2 or 3 years out of the system and then either the system requires a motherboard or something else to fix for hardware failure. Additionally Video Cards cooking to death because of GPU cooling fan failure or clogged up with dust etc. As well as people also push the hardware harder overclocking and even up over-cooking hardware killing it or stressing it to where it destabilizes and acts up.

I've been a penny pincher PC builder for myself and am happy with my gaming builds with a very tight budget and lots of reuse of mixing old and new hardware. Additionally I like to test the limits of minimal system requirements of games by underclocking, disabling cores, and memory to see where the true minimum system requirements are for games. I have had World of Warcraft running on  1 core of a 4 core CPU setting core affinity, and forced multiplier to CPU only running at 700Mhz and the game ran. However the game ran better at the 1.3Ghz of the full speed Sempron 3850 Quadcore. I have a AMD FX-8350 4.0Ghz 8-core system if I really need that kind of processing power, and that 8-core build I was able to pull off for under $400 by reuse of older hardware.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 03:26:34 PM »
      I deleted that offensive post and banned the user. Have no idea who he was and I've certainly never run into him on any other forum.