Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Port forwarding 4g Modem (ZTE MF823D)?  (Read 3319 times)

Gilgamesh21

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Port forwarding 4g Modem (ZTE MF823D)?
    « on: July 06, 2016, 06:40:02 AM »
    Hi,

So, Here are the facts:

1- I like to play online games (PC-only): GTA V and Battlefield 4 to name a couple.

2- I live in Sweden, and subscribed to a decent carrier with a decent 4G speed.

3- I am using an unlocked ZTE MF823D 4G LTE modem connected to my PC that I bought off eBay.

Problem:

1-GTA V keep displaying the error "NAT restricted connection" and sometimes just disconnects the session.

2-BF4 showing the orange icons on the right at times indicating connection issues.

3- Unable to connect to Tunngle or play any games over virtual LAN.

Okay..so before I posted here, I looked around trying to find what this "NAT" was and how to solve it and it all boiled down (as far as I understood) to opening ports in the modem.

I went into the settings of the MF823D but I could not find any option about port forwarding and instead a DMZ option that I turned on but there was no effect and the NAT issues persisted.

What do you think I should do and is it possible to open ports on this modem?

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Port forwarding 4g Modem (ZTE MF823D)?
    « Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 06:47:04 AM »
    Most 4G carriers employ what is known as "Carrier Grade NAT" - This means that one IP address is shared across several different users.  It is not possible to forward ports through to your device on such connections.

Gilgamesh21

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 11:53:31 AM »
      Thanks for replaying.

So this has nothing to do with the modem itself but the carrier. Is it possible that the carrier would assign me an IP address if I asked them?

Gilgamesh21

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 11:33:53 AM »
        UPDATE:

I tried the SIM card on my phone and tethered my computer to it. I was able to connect to Tunngle (The icon at the bottom right corner was yellow) and I managed to play on GTA V without the NAT Restricted warning. It seems the problem is not from the carrier.