Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet sharing Help  (Read 2561 times)

Nilkanth

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Internet sharing Help
    « on: July 08, 2016, 01:11:13 PM »
    Hey guys,
    I just want to know if it's possible to share my wifi internet(usb wifi adapter + connected to the internet) to my router. From pc to router   ;D

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Internet sharing Help
    « Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 01:18:30 PM »
    Yes, you can.
    But some details are needed.
    Here are some questions:
    What kind of computers and mobile devices are using?
    what operating system are you using?
    What kind of router to you now have? And does it not have Wi-Fi capabilities?

In a home network situation the usual procedure is something like this. There is a modem connected to a router which has Wi-Fi capabilities. Or, in many cases the modem, router and Wi-Fi access are all in a single unit.
    In the Windows 7 and Windows 10 there is a way of sharing your Internet connection with others by using a Wi-Fi adapter that is placed in the AP mode. However, this is seldom needed in most cases. It is more of a convenience thing to make it perhaps easier to control the use of the Internet by other people in your house. Specifically, when your computer is turned off they cannot get to the shared access point because the access point is actually coming from your computer.
    Does this help any?

Nilkanth

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 05:25:54 PM »
      Yes, you can.
      But some details are needed.
      Here are some questions:
      What kind of computers and mobile devices are using?
      what operating system are you using?
      What kind of router to you now have? And does it not have Wi-Fi capabilities?

In a home network situation the usual procedure is something like this. There is a modem connected to a router which has Wi-Fi capabilities. Or, in many cases the modem, router and Wi-Fi access are all in a single unit.
      In the Windows 7 and Windows 10 there is a way of sharing your Internet connection with others by using a Wi-Fi adapter that is placed in the AP mode. However, this is seldom needed in most cases. It is more of a convenience thing to make it perhaps easier to control the use of the Internet by other people in your house. Specifically, when your computer is turned off they cannot get to the shared access point because the access point is actually coming from your computer.
      Does this help any?

Thank you for replying.

First of all I have a normal pc : Processor   Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU G1610 @ 2.60GHz, 2600 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
      Ram : 4GB
      Wifi Adapter : D-Link DWA-123 Wireless N 150 USB Adapter
      Router : Airlink101 Wireless N Router AR675

I just want to share the internet connection from the USB Wireless Adapter to the Router(From PC LAN -> Router WAN).
      So I want to if it's possible to do that

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 11:22:02 PM »
      This is dictation.

Okay. in some cases that can be done when other devices in your house are not able to connect to the same Wi-Fi connection.
      Let me describe to you what happened my case. Before getting a better Internet connection, the only way I could get Internet was through Wi-Fi and only using a very special Wi-Fi router that had been modified for experimental use. Tablet that it will pick up a very weak signal from my neighbors Wi-Fi and then have access to it here in my house by means of that particular router. However, not everybody in my house has a computer with an Ethernet connection. And even if they did, it would be awkward to run the cable from my home office into the living room so somebody else could get into the Internet. So the lot thing to do was figure out some way to share my Internet connection with other devices in the house by using Wi-Fi.
      Not if my neighbors Wi-Fi signal had been very strong, there would not be much of a problem. But because it was a weak signal I had to use a router with 2 Antennas and Pl. it in a certain location in my office to pick up my neighbors Wi-Fi signal. I will spare you the details of how that is done, but just say it's a custom application.
      Now in your case I understand you're getting Internet connection on your PC by using a wireless adapter. The wireless adapter is, of course, the USB device. Making one device work as both a receiver and a repeater is hard to do. Instead, there is a different approach.
      The way this is done is by using what is called a Wi-Fi extender or a Wi-Fi bridge. This works quite well in Windows 10 and with the right software it will even work in Windows XP. Is a brief outline of what I did.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wavlink-300mbps-Wifi-Repeater-Wireless-N-802-11n-Network-Signal-Extender-Booster-/231734912414?hash=item35f47a259e:g:J5MAAOSwnNBXYkMj

My special router was sending the Internet to my computer by using the ethernet connection. Then I installed a low-cost USB Wi-Fi adapter onto my computer. This particular model had a special function. You could switch to what is called the AP mode. In that mode, what ever is on my Ethernet also gets sent over to the USB port and sends it out over the Wi-Fi capabilities of the Wi-Fi USB adapter.
      This is a feature of Windows it is not very often used, however it has some distinct advantages. It allowed to use a device that is capable of picking up a very weak signal and then re-transmit it locally so that everybody in the house can get a decent Wi-Fi  data on   a different channel. This is called a AP device. Usually you can pick up some small low-cost AP devices from mail-order companies. Some of these devices are built in such a way that you can just plug them into a wall socket and run a Ethernet wire to your PC.

Remember, the two wireless devices must use separate channels and the physical separation ought to be  at least two meters, 6 feet.

However, in your case there is a pitfall. If we have two Wi-Fi devices in close proximity to each other you end up having a problem if one of him is working asked an AP and the other is working as a client. At close range they can interfere with each other. So in your case you would set up a bridge so that the USB Wi-Fi device would also share the connection with your Ethernet. You said you have a standard computer, so that means it must have an Ethernet connector on somewhere.
      After you bridge the USB device and the Ethernet connector together using a special software, you will then have to get another device to repeat the data onto a Wi-Fi channel that is not being used for the other device.

If you have an older spare router laying around, it is automatically, by default, but AP device on the Wi-Fi. Or to put it another way, most Wi-Fi routers expect the Internet connection to go into one of the cables that smart WAN. If so, it will transmit whatever is on any of the Internet connections to the Wi-Fi antenna. That is the normal mode for an AP wireless router.
      A simple trick is to make a bridge inside of Windows to connect the USB port to the Ethernet port by using a software socket called a bridge. This is one way to let your users have access to any data you get over your Wi-Fi adapter that's in the USB port.
      I'm going to refer you to an article about how to set up a network bridge using Windows. Some time ago the bridge could only be made between two devices that were exactly alike. But now, Windows will allow you to set up a bridge between an ethernet device and a USB device that has Wi-Fi. This vastly widens the scope of applications where you can share Internet with family and friends without the need to buy specialized equipment.
      This post is being done with speech recognition. I can talk much better than I can type, most of the time. If you see something funny and out of place, it is because the speech recognition software is getting a little bit behind and quite cannot follow me as I speak.
      Anyway, what you want is called a network bridge and it is a piece of software in Windows and is capable of joining a Ethernet connection and a USB Wi-Fi connection. I have done it before and most of the time it works real good. The issue usually comes up with what they call DHCP.  if that happens, come back here and your myself or somebody else can help you sort out. The trick is that you may have to set it up so that only one device and system is doing the DHCP thin g.
      Here are most relevant links:

http://www.countrymilewifi.com/how-to-share-computers-wifi-with-ethernet-devices.aspx

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-and-manage-network-bridge-connection-windows-10

http://superuser.com/questions/241997/cant-bridge-wifi-and-ethernet-because-wireless-disconnects-when-i-connect-ethe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z3V8LJIy8g

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles-tutorials/windows-xp/wxpbrdge.html

Tom morrow mourning have to get out of bed, So I can not stay up now and help you. Do what you can with the information above and somebody will  step in and help, I hope.   :D
      « Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 11:56:09 PM by Geek-9pm »