Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Want a game suggestion?  (Read 4403 times)

Steve M

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Want a game suggestion?
    « on: July 20, 2016, 11:16:46 AM »
    I was wondering if there are any free (preferably browser based) games out there similar to GTA or Fallout, where you can explore the world and do prety much what you want?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Want a game suggestion?
    « Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 06:08:51 AM »
    I was wondering if there are any free (preferably browser based) games out there similar to GTA or Fallout, where you can explore the world and do prety much what you want?

Almost a month old... but maybe still interested in this, so i will answer it. Somehow it fell off the radar in july.

Due to limitations in the browsers ability to render graphically intense games, you will find that games for a browser will be limited to flash type of games or javascript etc. A good example of game limitations in a brower environment would be to look at games on Facebook for example which are flash type of games.

In order to get GTA and Fallout graphics and performance, the game needs to specifically run on its own calling out to RAM directly and calling out to the video card to render without the crippling limitations of what a browser environment permits.

Limitations in browser games is mainly 2 reasons.

#1 - (Trust Limitations/Security ) Browsers need to be secure, and you wouldn't want a rogue website being able to run code that will directly call to your hardware which would be a hackers paradise situation. 

#2 - (Bandwidth) Intense Graphics = Textures, Map and Audio files are called upon frequently by video games some files can be 1GB in size that are called upon and that's why most of the games are large installs. While the internet has grown and bandwidth with it, it still doesn't make sense to have all game data on a web server for the video game and more sense to allow a user to install majority of the game and then portions that prohibit piracy on the server side protected but required for the game to run.

So there are none that work strictly on just browser that I am aware of due to these issues and limitations.

Lorraine walsh

Intermediate

• A techie by nature!
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Want a game suggestion?
      « Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 03:45:11 AM »
      Just wanted to add my recommendation as I have been also through this phase. I'd like to suggest one game, Dying Light, last year back in January. It has a huge open world, a lot of stuff to do and a great single player campaign. It may not be like GTA, but it is a great addition to open world games.