Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Default gateway doesn't appear in ARP table; DHCP does assign IP address  (Read 6950 times)

tchap199

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Hi all, this is my first time posting on one of these forums so I apologize if I leave out any necessary information:

Computer make/model: HP Envy dv7
    Wi-Fi adapter: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485
    Router type: Arris DG1670A
    AV software: Avast Free

In the middle of the day yesterday my laptop lost the ability to connect to the Internet via the Wifi in my apartment building. It connects to other Wifi networks no problem, including an iPhone hotspot and public coffee shop Wifi; also, my other devices, including iPhone and Roku, have no trouble connecting to the Wifi in my building. So the problem is only between my laptop and this particular wifi router.

DHCP on this router does assign my laptop an IP address (192.168.0.11); the default gateway (192.168.0.1) and subnet mask (255.255.255.0) that my laptop receives are the same ones that my iPhone and other devices that connected successfully receive. But pinging the default gateway returns either (most commonly) a "Request timed out" or (occassionally) "Destination host unreachable."

I checked my ARP table using arp -a and it turns out that the default gateway is not being added to the ARP table; there is no entry for 192.168.0.1 in the table. I tried making a manual entry using:

netsh interface ip add neighbors "Wi-Fi" 192.168.0.1 [The router's MAC address]

and the entry was successfully added (confirmed by arp -a), but nothing else changed; pinging the default gateway still returned the same non-result.

I've tried disabling my firewall and AV shields; I've tried deleting the ARP cache with netsh interface ip delete arpcache.

The one thing I can't do is manually reset the router, because it's controlled by my landlord and I don't physically have access to the router box (I got the router's MAC address by looking at the ARP table for the iPhone that connected successfully). But since other devices can connect to the router with no problems, I'm not sure that would help anyway.

Thank you very much in advance for your help. I appreciate any advice given!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    What is the signal strength between router and the devices? Some devices are more sensitive to a weak or inconsistent signal strength.

Is this connection one where the landlord offered you free wifi or they just happen to have it unsecured and open for anyone to connect to?

If the landlord offers free internet in the apartment, what would be the odds of having them give you a Cat 5 or Cat6 cable run to your apartment from one of their routers available ports... Thought here is that if they allowed this, then you can add your own wireless router to that connection and provide your own stronger strength wifi and do away with this issue possibly. Your router would daisy chain off of theirs. It would also add a firewall between you and others on the network if there are other tenants.