Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Please help assess this SNMP-Event log.  (Read 2586 times)

Saurabhdua

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Beginner
    Please help assess this SNMP-Event log.
    « on: August 11, 2016, 01:08:23 PM »
    Hello There!

Please help me assess the accurate implications over Network performance/Optimized Internet experience on the basis of the attached SNMP-event log.

Are the Warnings signify any major concern? Should these be brought to the notice of my ISP?

What sort of Performance-degradation could one experience upon a routine encounter with these impediments?   

Please suggest on the possible implications in a layman language.

Inputs will be sincerely appreciated, & are keenly awaited. :-)

Thank you.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Please help assess this SNMP-Event log.
    « Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 01:24:58 PM »
    Are the Warnings signify any major concern? Should these be brought to the notice of my ISP?

Before contacting ISP on this if its their cause, I would make sure its their hardware and not an issue with your own.
    There appears to be a log of issues here and this is a very general log. You would want to pinpoint the cause more before contacting ISP if its an ISP issue.

I'd ping www.google.com -t from command shell and monitor for lost packets and communication issues. I'd also ping the snmp server at the same time in another window. If you see a network issue in which both have an issue at the same time then the problem is likely your internet connection. If the problem is only with snmp then its and issue with snmp only and not internet connection issue. You would contact the snmp provider tio have then troubleshoot from their end such as a loop back test.

More testing is needed. Are you familiar with testing networks for problems beyond just this log to diagnose this issue further and isolate the cause?

Saurabhdua

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 12:59:50 AM »
      Hello DaveLembke!

Thanks for a comprehensive reply.
      I do know on how to use a PING command with the syntax that you have suggested, but don't know how to open 2 command shell windows simultaneously to assess responses from both (Domain name & SNMP) at the same time?

Well Iam keen to diagnose this issue even further, so kindly help suggest on the next  course. Thanks.

Just to make one more thing clear over here, that I never use the default DNS of my ISP but alternatives only! (like GoogleDNS, OpenDNS..etc.)

Now could that be the 'Behind the scene' factor to trigger such Warnings?

Nevertheless, Iam all ready to isolate the cause & probe the matter further...

Please suggest.. :-)

Saurabhdua

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 01:18:08 AM »
        Hello DaveLembke!

Iam keenly awaiting a response from your end.

Please "Update" the status.

Thanks.

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 09:50:59 AM »
        Hello and sorry for the delay in getting back to you. From the windows RUN command under START, enter CMD and hit enter key then move the command shell window where you want it on your screen. Then repeat the process of running CMD at Start->Run to open up as many command shell windows as you need. You then can run simultaneous testing pinging multiple locations at the same time, so when there is a connection issue if it shows up on only one specific ping and not all at the same time, then its a problem at their end the SNMP server end.

Saurabhdua

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 11:44:10 AM »
          Dear DaveLembke,

Please confirm that when you say Ping SNMP server...does it automatically mean Ping the default gateway of my Internet router?

In my case, Router's Interface or the default gateway is accessed via entering 192.168.x.x at the address bar within Web browser!

So pinging SNMP would obviously mean>> ping 192.168.x.x -t ?

Am I correct in  its interpretation? Please suggest.

DaveLembke

Sage
          « Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 01:00:08 PM »
          Where is the SNMP server located?

That will determine where you ping. If you have your own SNMP server then it will be a local ping to that servers IP address. If its through a host that you pay for, then it will be the IP through that SNMP host.

Saurabhdua

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 01:51:37 PM »
            Dear DaveLembke,

Iam not quite able to get your point!? I do not have my own SNMP server!
            The Log posted against the Original missive signify the data showing up under "Diagnostics" section within my Router's interface!

I access my Router using 192.168.x.x URL within the Address-bar of the browser.

So how to get hold of the Real-SNMP address you are talking about?

Does the external Software programs such as Networx..etc. can help determine the intricacies of my Network to probe further in this matter?

Please suggest.. 

DaveLembke

Sage
            « Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 11:23:11 PM »
            ok so your SNMP service is in your router.. thats local at the same IP as router. ping that persistent and look for lost packets then. if no problems with pings then everything should be good. Which device is linked to the mac address in error listing in the initial pic you linked, that device is having the issues with router.

Saurabhdua

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 01:11:01 AM »
              Dear DaveLembke!

Would like to confirm that persistent PING with Router's interface ::192.168.x.x are showing up no data packet losses & neither does the persistent PING with www.google.com is able to show up anything unusual!

As far as MAC Address is concerned, the only interface available within the Router which mentions anything in regard to that is enclosed alongwith.

Please suggest further....& lastly, isn't there a 'Smart-Way' to identify 'Lags n Latency' within a Network using any of the available Freeware?

Guidance will be sincerely appreciated. Thank you.

EDIT::: The MAC Address showing up against the Original SNMP Log pertains to the connected Router only! Please refer to the 2nd screenshot.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

DaveLembke

Sage
              « Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 01:45:31 PM »
              Would like to confirm that persistent PING with Router's interface ::192.168.x.x are showing up no data packet losses & neither does the persistent PING with www.google.com is able to show up anything unusual!

Nothing unusual to router (LOCAL) and to google (WAN) would indicate that all should be well. So... where is the problem then? If there are only very few entries in the logs but 99.9% of the time all is well, then all should be well.

Please suggest further....& lastly, isn't there a 'Smart-Way' to identify 'Lags n Latency' within a Network using any of the available Freeware?
              As far as lags and latency, ping itself has all those features. At the end of the ping when terminated it will give you minimum, maximum, and average latency + count of failed pings which should equal 0, and it is the FREE and Smart-Way  ;D

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
              Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
                  Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 ( 0% loss ),
              Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
                  Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Saurabhdua

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 02:40:42 PM »
                Dear DaveLembke,

Thanks for your reply.

Is there also a way to gracefully terminate PING command when suffixed by -t?

All I know is to just X the window, & therefore "Net Outcomes" are not evident with such a stance!

Secondly, Are Speed-Tests the only available criterion to gauge the Potency of an ISP's Network for the end-users?

Are there any Comprehensive tools available for the end-users to showcase the entire N/w Health, Performance, efficiency  to their ISPs?

How can the end-Users compel their ISPs to improve on the basis of a sustained Data-Compilation?

DaveLembke

Sage
                « Reply #12 on: August 14, 2016, 03:06:11 PM »
                Pressing Control + C will terminate the ping that is running with -t persistent. And you will get the summary that you didnt see before. Sorry I forgot to disclose this earlier. I thought I typed the CTRL + C as the exit method to the ping, but looking back I forgot to.