Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Physical or Cloud Database Server  (Read 2209 times)

TheMrMystery

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Physical or Cloud Database Server
    « on: August 22, 2016, 10:45:00 AM »
    This is more of a theory crafting question/sounding board. I'm a business owner/end-user, but I'm fairly sophisticated in IT. So the facts: I have two locations, about 200 miles apart, both small retail stores (6-10 workstations). The first location has been up and running for over a year, the 2nd location will be coming online in a few months. Location 1 currently has in-house Win Server 2012, which runs our retail point-of-sale software/foxpro database. This software basically tracks all our inventory, purchases, receiving, sales and does full accounting. So basically we can't live without it. Location 2 is a second location license on this particular software, so both stores will/can use the same database/inventory, and it allows in-store transfers.. etc...

So now to my dilemma? HOW TO CONNECT THEM?!?!

I see two options (unless you can think of another):
    Option 1:
    Physical: I maintain the physical server at a single location, and use a location-location VPN to connect the 2nd location as a branch, using UPS as back-up power, I try to ensure physical server never goes down, or else both stores are non-operational.
    Pros: Easier to setup, all servers and deployment is done in our physical control.
    Cons: If location 2 loses power, or has server issues, location 2 is affected as well by any down time.

Option 2:
    Cloud: Using AWS or some other VPS service, host a virtual Windows server to host the software/database. Have each location VPN to the VPS, and a second location-location VPN so they can share other resources.
    Pros: Isolated cloud system should not have failures, and each store can run independently, as long as the VPS doesn't have issues.
    Cons: More complicated to setup. Slower?

----

Having never used any cloud vps systems, I'm a little worried about speed. Because everything/every sale/every po issued, every entry made on any workstation must hit the server, is there any issue with speed? The software is pretty dated (they are slowly working on making an SQL version), so basically every workstation runs the app, from the server directly. Will I have any performance issues?

Any other options? Are these the only 2 ways to do this? Are there other pros/cons, obviously, as mine are not very robust!

Thanks!

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Physical or Cloud Database Server
    « Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 11:27:48 AM »
    Moving to a remote VPS is certainly more work but in the long run you would benefit from better resiliency as the provider should take care of maintaining the hardware.  You of course will have higher network latency from Location 1 since the server is no longer local however Location 2 will likely benefit since the latency to the remote VPS will almost certainly be lower than if it were connecting to the other branch directly (the VPS will likely have a much faster network connection).  As long as both locations have a decent internet connection, I wouldn't worry too much about this causing issues.

I wouldn't worry too much about performance of the VPS - Modern virtual machine performance is extremely close to that of bare metal so if you go with a decent VPS provider and get a decently specced VPS, performance will be fine.

As for the VPNs, you may be able to get away with just having each location connect to the VPS - If it's set up correctly you should be able to configure it to route traffic between each site via the VPS.

The one issue to bear in mind with a VPS is that if the internet connection at either site fails, that site will be unable to connect so getting some sort of backup connection (3g/4g potentially) would be worthwhile.

The other option although it may be overly complicated or not possible with your given database/software would be to have a server in each site and then have the databases automatically replicate in some way - Each site then talks to its local server but they are both kept in sync.  This is something to look into although it may be more trouble than it's worth.