Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Epson WF 3640 Printer  (Read 12192 times)

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Epson WF 3640 Printer
« on: August 23, 2016, 08:56:48 AM »
I rarely recommend hardware - especially printers. I mean let's face it - it's a printer, what's to recommend? :) :)   

HOWEVER......   I needed a new printer for mostly personal use (and to provide light/occasional backup for business printers if needed). After doing some research I found a great deal on the Epson Work Force (WF) 3640 at $110 (direct from Epson, Amazon, etc.). It's actually $50 cheaper than the next LOWER model (WF 3620). And while I wasn't looking for a "loaded" printer, this was just too good to pass up. Yes, it's a great business printer but there's no reason it can't be used for home or home office purposes. Installed it yesterday and the features are amazing at this price:

• All-in-one (print / scan / fax / copy)
  • Automatic two-sided print & copy
  • Two 250 sheet paper trays + rear tray for specialty paper, envelopes, etc.
  • 35 page two-sided ADF
  • Ethernet & WiFi capable with ridiculously easy network setup
  • Large LCD screen (3 1/2") with VERY user friendly navigation and controls
  • Claimed speed of 19 ppm (black) and 10 ppm (color)
  • Excellent print quality (at least for text - don't know about photo)
  • Remote printing capability (from cell phones, tablets, etc)
  • Highly rated inexpensive (off-brand) ink cartridges readily available (Amazon, etc.). I've never used anything but OEM ink, but the reviews on some of these non-Epson cartridges are outstanding
If you're in the market for a new printer or All-In-One, I think you should at least take a look at the WF 3640. At $110 it's a steal!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 09:34:27 AM by Allan »

Lorraine walsh

Intermediate

• A techie by nature!
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Epson WF 3640 Printer
    « Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 06:41:22 AM »
    The specs seem good for the price quoted. Good info. 

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 09:12:43 AM »
    When it comes to printers I look at quality, features, and price, reviews, and then one final check because I have been bitten by this before is the cost for the ink and how many pages its suggested that it can print per cartridge or cartridge set.

Here is the ink from epson: Looks like its $56.99 (USD) for the set of ink cartridges
    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/buy-ink-results.do?sku=C11CA77201&type=1&ref=sem:us-brand-workforce-ink:gs:ink-workforce-epson&wm_crID=45632142&wm_lpID=104063141&wm_ctID=475&wm_kwID=54983001&wm_content=0&wm_g_crID=102495390552&wm_g_kw=%2bepson+%2bworkforce+%2bink&wm_g_pcmt=&wm_g_cnt=0&wm_g_device=c&wm_g_phyloc=9002419&wm_g_intloc=&gclid=CKvKreyoss8CFYpbhgodLf0K0A&gclsrc=aw.ds&wm_kw=%2bepson+%2bworkforce+%2bink&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=%2bepson+%2bworkforce+%2bink&utm_campaign=us+%2D+brand+%2D+workforce+%2D+ink&wm_sd=1

Most Inkjet printers are marketed to grab you with a price you cant refuse and the company then makes up for the cost of the printer in a royalty type of way that the more printing you get out of their product the more costly it is to you in that ink doesnt need to be $30 or more per cartridge. Getting generic ink or refiller kits is one way to break out of their business model but that usually leads to troubles.

I myself moved away from inkjets because of my infrequency of printing was costing me. My ink cartridges would dry up on me when sitting a month or longer without use. Id have to perform a clean process and waste ink and that sometimes didnt fix the issue. I then would have to clean the cartridge face of dry ink and then put it back into the ink jet printer and sometimes even then it wouldnt fix the clog issue. So I would be back to the store dumping $30 or more more on ink costs.

I finally found a deal on newegg 2 years ago for a Laser jet and bought 2 of them for $29.99 each brand new. The price was worth the gamble. Normally I wouldnt buy a no-name printer, but it was worth giving it a try and I am glad I did because I havent had any troubles with them yet. But also it could be a situation where you need to use it for it to wear and break and my family is a low printer use household.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828731010&cm_re=pantum-_-28-731-010-_-Product

My wife and daughter print maybe 50 to 100 pages a month, myself maybe 5 pages if that. The first toner cartridge lasted about 18 months before running out. I ended up taking the toner from the 2nd printer to put into the first printer as a solution to replacing the toner. The cost for the toner is dirt cheap at $29.99 I suppose I should buy one given its this cheap to have one on hand if not 2 to replace the one that I took from the other printer ..  ;D 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828731014&cm_re=pantum-_-28-731-014-_-Product

*While this is a very cheap printer, its quality is likely good enough for the occasional print or low print volume use. I doubt this printer would hold up as well as a HP Business Class Laser Jet in which most run tens of thousands of pages until needing a service kit run through them. This one I shared is just a cheap throw away laser jet. It works perfect for my families needs and very low cost. It even has wireless printing which is quite impressive for the fact that I bought this printer for just $29.99 with free shipping 2 years ago. Ive saved lots of money not having to throw away clogged inkjet cartridges.

I guess the only drawback to this cheap laser jet is that its monochrome and no color, but we dont print pictures etc, its usually information that doesnt require anything but gray scale.

A few years ago I moved away from being print happy with everything. I use to find cool articles and press print and read them later in paper form or to add them to a 3 ring binder of useful tech tips etc. I have since moved to a paperless system using doPDF7 to save important stuff as PDF's, and only stuff that really needs to be printed I print to paper.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 06:12:24 AM »
    Read an article yesterday that HP plans to actually add a compound into it's ink for a new DRM technology on newest printer line...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 09:09:39 AM »
    Read an article yesterday that HP plans to actually add a compound into it's ink for a new DRM technology on newest printer line...

No surprise there...   ::)  I had an all in one Officejet 5610 before the cheap Laser Printer and generic ink I tried at $10 per ink cartridge put into it it detected as Used or Counterfeit  :o ... https://support.bchtechnologies.com/hc/en-us/articles/200676949-HP-Printer-Error-Used-or-Counterfeit-Cartridge-Detected-Ink-Sensor-Warning-What-to-do-

Looking at this article it looks like if I updated the driver software I might actually be able to lie to the printer now to get it to print ... yes yes... sure I have HP ink installed   ::) and it would work after a class action lawsuit i wasnt aware of on this according to article made them have to give the ability for user to be able to print. Looks like even a refill kit which I never bought because I can just imagine the mess of those in the hands of a child HP was keeping track of a serial number on the cartridges and a counter for a max count of pages printed per black/color cartridge.  :P

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 09:12:20 AM »
    Yeah...but putting it in the actual ink ? ?

That's insidious.... :P

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 09:18:46 AM »
    Time for someone to jail break printers I guess...  ;D

Disable counter, Disable conductive ink sensor to read x-many ohms or its counterfeit...  :P  ;D

*It would actually be cool if its as simple as measuring resistance of the ink, cut the sensor wire and solder on resistor combination to simulate approved ink.   ;) I cant imagine the DRM ink test or sensor being anything overly complicated as for it would need to be cheap to implement. Setting ink to a specific conductivity would be easy and very cheap, and the easiest to hack unless they start installing boards embedded in potting compound to keep people from altering and the sensor signal riding over a digital communication between ink cradle and main board so its not as easy as soldering on to 2 pins a dummy resistor value.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 09:32:58 AM »
     ;D...We prolly shouldn't be throwin out ideas on this here...

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 09:39:30 AM »
     ;D Agreed  :-X