Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No internet connection  (Read 11098 times)

02bin3

No internet connection
« on: August 26, 2016, 10:55:07 AM »
I have Lenovo G70-80 Laptop that is only 3 months old, and it started having problems connecting through my ethernet connection to a Hughesnet modem.  I do not have a router at this location.  It works fine with the FIOS wifi at my other location.  After going the route with Hughesnet trying to diagnose the connection problem they decided that it was probably the ethernet port itself.  I took it t the local computer guru and he did a pretty thorough check of what was going in areas I wouldn't dare venture into, and he decided that it was probably the ethernet port.  So, I called Lenovo, explained the problem and they tried having me do different things with it, but nothing worked, so I had to send it to them.  They sent it back a week later and said that it was the Bios and it worked fine on the FIOS wifi, however, when I came back to the location where I only have ethernet wire hookup, it wouldn't work and I kept getting messages like: 
"An Ethernet cable looks like a telephone cable but with larger connections on the ends.  Plug the cable into the opening on the back or side of the computer.  Make sure the other end of the cable is plugged into the router.  If that does not help try using a different cable."  I tried 3 different ethernet cables that I know work on another laptop, but they wouldn't work on the Lenovo.

"Ethernet does not have a valid IP configuration."
I told Hughesnet about this one and asked them if they could give me an IP address and they said that they couldn't although they did have me go into the RUN program and try to restore the IP configuration, but it didn't work.
"An ethernet cable is not properly plugged in or it might be broken."
Again, I tried fiddling with the connections to make sure they were secure.

I went to the internet and googled how do I find out the IP configuration and it suggested that I use another computer that uses the same connection and get the IP address from that.  So, I did that, and went into the Lenovo and put in the IP address where there wasn't any, and it started to do some changes and then showed I had a connection through Network2.  Great.  Got on line for about 5 minutes and it quit.

I've reached the limit of what I understand or dare to do and I would like some input as to what might be the problem and if it is something I could address.  I will add, that the ethernet port on this computer is very difficult to plug in and pull out.  I've never encountered one like this, and the computer guru I spoke with has a Lenovo a bit beefier than mine and he has trouble with his, too. I know this is a long narrative, but I've tried to supply all the info I could remember.  Thanks

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: No internet connection
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 11:41:39 AM »
Please clarify details.
What is FIOS in this context? Is it a WI-Fi service with Verizon?
If so, that would have no bearing  the Ethernet issue.
and it started having problems connecting through my Ethernet connection to a Hughesnet modem.

Did the connection work good at first?
Did you try another Ethernet cable?
Do you often move your laptop from place to place ?
Would you consider using a home router as working solution?

02bin3

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 11:55:42 AM »
FIOS is Verizon's wireless
I tried 3 different ethernet cables, all of which work well on another laptop connected to this modem
The Lenovo laptop is moved every 2 weeks or so to this ethernet location, and it worked well until Microsoft did a big Windows 10 update when I had the computer at the FIOS location.  The next day I brought it to the ethernet connection location and it would not work.  Whether Microsoft downloaded something that affected the ethernet connection or not, I don't know.  I've looked on the internet to see if other people with Windows 10 may have had the same problem at that time, but I haven't found anyone yet.  I do have a Cisco Valet router still in the box that I picked up for a song a few years ago, but I've never used it and I'm really leery of trying as the last router I had was so convoluted to set up that I was really frustrated trying to figure out what they were asking for me to do.  I'm not exactly a computer wiz.  The language confounds me.  I could try and resort to the router, however, if there is something wrong with this brand new computer, I'd like to have it remedied.  Thanks for you reply.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 12:25:33 PM »
I thin kit is a Windows 10 snafu.     8)
I could try and resort to the router, however, if there is something wrong with this brand new computer, I'd like to have it remedied.  Thanks for you reply.
Yes! You should not have to suffer because of Microsoft's invasive marketing push.
The truth is, Windows 10 does not play well. Windows 10 did not catch that you have a laptop and you use both Ethernet and Wireless Internet.
In My Opinion, users like yourself should not have to take a crash-course in computers just to upgrade to Windows 10.I believe your problem will go away if you just can get back to the prior windows system.
The say:
Search Results
To access this, open the Start menu and select Settings. Click the “Update & security” icon and select “Recovery.” You should see a “Go back to Windows 7” or “Go back to Windows 8.1” option. Click the Get started button to get rid of your Windows 10 install and restore your previous Windows install....
This may be of some help:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-downgrade-windows-10-uninstall-win-10-reinstall-windows-7-8-summary-3633149/
Also:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/3033806/microsoft-windows/how-to-roll-back-your-windows-10-upgrade.html

Microsoft says you have30 days to do this. But many challenge this. Thatis not enough time to discover all the flaws and kinks.  You can still go back to Windows 7 if you have some kind of backup.
EDIT: Found this:
http://www.howtogeek.com/257750/how-to-extend-windows-10s-30-day-limit-for-rolling-back-to-windows-7-or-8.1/

02bin3

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 12:35:18 PM »
Unfortunately, this is not an upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.  I couldn't buy a new computer with Windows 7, so I had to get the Windows 10, whether I wanted it or not.  And, to be fair, I don't know if the updates are the problem, but it certainly is suspicious that the ethernet port worked fine before the updates.  Supposedly Lenovo had fixed it.  I guess they will be getting it back to re-fix.  I checked into the router and the Cisco Valet M10 may not work with Windows 10.  I kept Windows 7 Pro on my desktop at the other location, and fought on a daily basis to keep Microsoft from sneaking Windows 10 in on me.  Thanks for your input.  I'm going to try one more trick and that is to hook it up to a friend's Hughesnet modem via ethernet cable and see if that works.  If it does, then I can only assume it is the older model Hughesnet modem that I have that is the culprit. 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 03:03:05 PM »
Is your modem just a modem, or is it a router/modem combo? A router combo will have multiple Ethernet ports.

Modems will usually "bind" themselves to the first device that get's connected to them, so for example if you plug in one computer, it works, then unplug it and plug in another PC via ethernet, the second one will not be able to get a connection because the Modem will refuse to work with it, as it is not the same device. (It identifies it though a unique attribute of each network interface called a MAC Address). It sounds like you may be shuffling PCs in some fashion with this modem which could cause issues. like that- and would cause the lack of a valid IP configuration since the modem would refuse to give the device one.

Even so, it is laughable that, when you sent it in to get the ethernet port repaired, they sent it back saying t hat it worked on their Wifi. That had nothing to do with why you sent it in! That would be like if it had a broken keyboard and they sent it back saying "Works fine here when we plug in a separate keyboard".
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 03:18:35 PM »
I may be that the Lenovo G70-80 Laptop is the problem. You should insist they check the Ethernet port. Unfortunately, the poet silicon is not a chip apart from the soldered chip set.  (It is not in a socket.) The factory has device to test the Ethernet port.

At this point, I would e hesitant to do a workaround if in fact the real issue is the failure of your new computer. It makes you wonder what else might be wrong.

But to finish this up, one could use some kind of external adapter or device. One choice is to just use a router. Also, there are USB devices that can work with Ethernet. Some less that $20 and very portable. Search Amazon or other vendors for USB to Ethernet.

Hope you get it fixed.  :)

02bin3

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 05:31:55 PM »
I tried it out at my friend's house, using both her ethernet cable and one of mine that I know works.  Neither one connected.  When I'd sent it back initially I sent a letter telling Lenovo that both a computer repair person and the Hughesnet tech dept. felt that there was a problem with the port and I notice that if I wiggle the plug in the port it will flash on the task bar on the right side that on the internet icon that it is trying intermittently with the wiggling to connect.  I guess the Lenovo repair dept. felt it was easier to wipe out my original windows 10 program and install a new one, than to replace the ethernet port.?
I did not know about a USB device that could be used for ethernet connection.  Thanks for that tip and for your help.  It is just such a PIA as this computer was terrific, despite having to figure out how windows 10 worked.  I'm not wild about the fact that I have no choice as to what updates I want downloaded on my computer from Microsoft.  I had one computer bite the dust from a Nvidia driver update that Microsoft downloaded, so when this happened with the ethernet connection, Microsoft's download was my first thought.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 09:54:06 PM »
Sorry to hear that the support people for Lenovo made a bad choice.
BTW; I have had similar loose connection propellers with the Ethernet connectors. Replacing the RJ-45 jack is a real PITA. I don't even try.

Here is a page about  the Ethernet to USB dongle.
http://plugable.com/2015/04/21/selecting-the-right-usb-ethernet-adapter-for-your-computer-and-network/

Do not pay more than $25 for one of these. Make sure it is one that is supported by Windows 7, 8.1 and 10. A few are not.

But, as you have said, Lenovo should have fixed it.   >:(

02bin3

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 08:32:29 AM »
I wish that the ethernet port was as clean looking as your pictures, however, in the need to make clean, sleek lines in the design, they created this ethernet port that has a spring-loaded, half-cover for it that requires a bit of doing to get the cable plugged in, and getting it out is another problem.  The computer repairman that I use has the same problem with his Lenovo.  It could be that the difficulty in plugging in and out is probably the culprit and has loosened a connection somewhere.  Function was sacrificed in favor of design.  I've had many computer since my first IBM 486, but have never had the problem this one has in plugging in ethernet connections.  And thanks for including a picture of the USB dongle.  Now I know what I'm looking for if they can't get this problem fixed.