Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unable to install windows 8 from USB, or DVD  (Read 6154 times)

deadbird101

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Unable to install windows 8 from USB, or DVD
    « on: August 30, 2016, 04:39:07 PM »
    I am unable to install Windows 8. I have tried installing from a USB 2.0 flash drive, and a USB DVD drive (the all-in-one desktop doesn't not boot from DVD's when I put the DVD when I put the dvd inside of the computer .)whenever I get to the section of the installation where I choose which hard drive I woild like to install Windows 8 onto, i get the following message:

"We couldn’t create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files."

I have tired the followong commands in the command line with no luck.

Start DISKPART

Type LIST DISK and identify your HDD disk number (from 0 to n disks).

Type SELECT DISK <n> where <n> is your HDD disk number.

Type LIST PARTITION

Type SELECT PARTITION <n> where <n> is your partition number of the last drive (Drive 0 Unallocated Space 20 Gb)

Type CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY

Type ACTIVE

Type FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK

Type ASSIGN

Type EXIT twice (one to get out of DiskPart, the other to exit the command line tool)

I have also tried disabling the audio and LAN controllers in the BIOS, with no luck. There are no other devices connected to the computer. No SD cards, or other USB drives. I am not sure what to do. Can anyone please help me?

Lorraine walsh

Intermediate

• A techie by nature!
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Unable to install windows 8 from USB, or DVD
      « Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 03:16:52 AM »
      You can look out for the following issues, as there may any factor from them that's causing the issue:

1. Check if your USB drive is bootable. Before you enter into the BIOS to alter boot order settings, make sure that your newly prepared bootable USB drive is really bootable.

2. Check if your PC supports booting from USB. As you likely know, one can’t boot from a USB drive on a machine that doesn’t support booting from USB. In order to check if your PC’s motherboard support USB booting, you can either check your PC’s manual or enter the BIOS to see if USB boot option is present.

3. Configure your PC to boot from USB. If your USB drive is bootable and your PC supports booting from USB, then you need to walk into the BIOS and configure it to boot from USB. In order to enter the BIOS, you need to reboot your PC and press a specific key as soon as you see your PC reboots. Most OEMs use either Delete, F2 or F12 key to enter into BIOS but we advise you check your PC’s manual or PC manufacturer website for the right key to enter the BIOS and to know how to configure your PC to boot from USB.

4. Check the file system of your USB drive

If your PC supports UEFI and you’re trying to install Windows in UEFI mode, you should make sure that the bootable USB drive is formatted in FAT32 file system.

Hope it helps.