Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ping works, brwosing doesn't  (Read 2936 times)

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

Ping works, brwosing doesn't
    « on: September 04, 2016, 12:39:38 PM »
    Dell XPS M1330 laptop
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T9500 2.6Ghz
    RAM: 4GB
    HDD: 500GB
    LAN: Broadcom NetLink Fast Ethernet
    WAN: Intel 4965AGN

I can't tell when exactly this started. What I'm sure of is I got to know about it just today, because I don't use this laptop that often.
    The issue exists via both interfaces, LAN as well as WiFi, when the IP settings are set to default, namely obtain IP and DNS automatically.
    Using the same cable and connecting to the same WiFi access point other computers or laptops don't display this behavior.
    Scanning with Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes show no threats/vulerabilities.
    The issue still exists even with Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes and Windows firewall turned off.
    The network connection icon in notification are shows connected with no warning sign on it.
    It looks like there is no internet connection though, except for ping. Pinging to anywhere is OK (google.com, yahoo.com ...).
    Browsing with Chrome or Internet Explorer don't work, Skype doesn't connect either.
    Pinging to google.com shows the IP address. Using the same IP in browser doesn't work either.
    It looks like the only way to get a working internet is manually setting IP and DNS. By the way this method works with Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes and Windows firewall turned on.
    IP: 192.168.1.from 1 up to 19
    Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Defaukt Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    Preferred DNS: 192.168.1.1
    The only change, that comes to my mind, since last time I used this laptop with no issue is changing the internet provider. Just my guess. Although it didn't affect that dramatically other laptops or phones.
    So the question. What may be the reason, how to resolve this issue?
    Many thanks in advance.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Ping works, brwosing doesn't
    « Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 04:35:31 PM »
    First trick to try is to dump the DNS Cache by running IPCONFIG/FLUSHDNS at command prompt. Then when complete restart browser and see if you can get to websites without any problems.

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 12:53:03 AM »
      Thanks DaveLembke,
      But that didn't work.
      « Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 01:13:07 AM by gev »

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 04:34:15 AM »
      Next I would download the language and OS version appropriate Full Offline installation version of Firefox to a healthy computer. Then copy that downloaded file to a USB stick. Then plug USB stick into troubled system and install it from USB stick to the troubled system. Then see if you can get out to the internet for surfing through Firefox.  There is a 32 and 64 bit version for download. If using a 64 bit OS, then I'd suggest the 64 bit version. Just be sure to select the proper language from all listed. https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/

If this works then there is a setting issue with other browsers. If it doesnt work then we can try a few other things.

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 07:32:45 AM »
        Thanks DaveLembke,
        Guess resolved.
        I was about to write you back about the pattern I learnt. Remember in my initial issue description I told
        >It looks like the only way to get a working internet is manually setting IP and DNS. By the way this method works with Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes and Windows firewall turned on.
        IP: 192.168.1.from 1 up to 19
        Mask: 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
        Preferred DNS: 192.168.1.1<
        For some reason only 1-19 in the firs octet works only. I went ahead and set manual IPs on other machines and again it must be 1-19 to get them working. When it's 20 or above, the same thing, ping goes through, everything else is stuck.  This was true for any machine in my network, even if I connect it directly to the GPON optical modem provided by i.net provider, bypassing my switch and/or access point. So I realized the guilt is on the modem. Called provider, described the situation, not sure whether they understood or not, asked them if they are limiting down the IP assignment quantity from their modem, they told no, they're not, but after they remotely restarted their modem everything was fixed. Now I can either manually set any IP or set it to get IP automatically on any machine wired or WiFI, everything is back to normal I guess at this moment. I'm assuming it must have been some glitch in that optical modem I have no access to. Provider accesses it remotely.
        Thanks a lot.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 02:08:42 PM »
        The ISP controls the modem.

At the present time, I have the dame deal. I can change only a few things. But I have good service at a bargain price. So I can't complain.

Somewhere in the the modem DHCP table there is a limit of what Local IPs will be used. That is normal practice.

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 04:59:38 AM »
          Yes, first I asked them about limiting down IPs, they denied, but whatever they did, changed settings or indeed just restarted, it worked.

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 05:02:22 AM »
            Also, even if it's really IP limitation, I'm surprised this, must be, cheep Chinese modem has that capability of limiting IPs at a protocol level, since remember I told IPs bigger than 19 were pinged but nothing else.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 12:31:52 PM »
            Gev,
            You are speculating.
            The DCHP table is a standard feature in most modems and seldom does the table ever allow more than 50 IP addresses in the table.
            Of course you can ping IPs outside of the DHCP range. But the modem does not assist them to get to the Internet.
            In any case, nobody here will help you circumvent the right of the IP to limit the number of devices you can have tied to the Internet at one instance.
            It it is 1 to 19, that is 19 devices you have have. I double many providers allow more than that.

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 03:00:39 AM »
              Thanks Geek-9pm,
              I don't have any speculation intentions.
              OK, let me detail a bit.
              I have some ~10 devices in this network. Layout is this. Internet by optical cable comes to this modem/router, from there via Ethernet cable goes to my switch, from the switch again via Ethernet cables goes to some computers and to my WiFi access point, the rest of WiFi devices get internet from that access point. The access point DHCP is disabled.
              When I monitor my network I do see assigned IPs like 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3, 192.168.1.15 ...
              Before it was up to 192.168.1.19 I didn't pay a particular attention to. Only after that one laptop was assigned 192.168.1.20, the problem was detected. That's when I started manually setting above 20 to my other devices. And when I say ping goes through, this is what I mean. I was setting  say 192.168.1.21 (anything above 19) to a desktop computer and pinging google.com or yahoo.com or anything, ping was going through, but anything else like Skype or browsing didn't work. When I was setting it to say 192.168.1.19 (anything below 20), ping asa well as anything else, browsing or Skype is OK.
              Now, after they did their restart or reset of that modem, I don't know what exactly they did, I can set the IP to anything 192.168.1.21 or 192.168.1.101 or 192.168.1.218, everything is OK.

Regards

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              « Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 04:09:36 AM »
              Glad you got it to work.
              So you have an optical into your neighborhood? If so, there should not be any limit on bandwidth and little need to strict your service.

Just a note. Residential users have a different service than Commercial users. I assume you  are a residential user.

Some ISPs have limited the number of devices taught can be used on one drop.  That is, the wire to your house is a drop cable.  Only devices in your house should use the connection. At one time Comcast put a limit of 5 devices on one drop.

Well, they do not do that anymore. You can have lots of devices if it is part of your household. Most ISPs have a paragraph that prohibits  residential users from reselling internet service. However, the ISP might use Wi-Fi to resell service on your street.  If the modem/router belongs to the company, they might sell the Wi-Fi signal to your neighbor.
              Other providers have the same mind-set. They fear you might make some money on the side, so they monitor how many things are on you network.
              But I think that is going away. They are not loosing a lot of money j if yur neigbor makes some use of your Wi-Fi signal.
              Normally a subset is all address fro 1 up to 254., but seldom is the whole range  used on one network. As mentioned earlier, many routers limit DHCP service to 50 devices. Even so, having 50 devices on one router is a lot.

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 04:38:39 AM »
                Thanks.
                Yes, maybe that's the way it works/ed over there in US (Guess you are in US, right? By the way, if that's true you're a late person for that time zone.  :)), but here in Armenia, well at least according to my ISP they don't limit it at all. And yes, regarding selling, reselling, out of that many devices, some 2-3 LAN and some 4 WiFi are of my one neighbor's, 1 LAN, some 3 WiFi are of my other neighbor's and some 4 LAN and some 6 WiFi are of my devices. Well, in sum it's actually around 20 not 10. Not that I'm reselling the internet to my neighbors, but we're pooling it, and ISP is aware of it and doesn't mind. The modem only belongs to ISP, switch and access point are mine. That's how it works here in Armenia.

Regards