Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Putting ends on a cat5E cable.  (Read 3332 times)

Little Marine

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Putting ends on a cat5E cable.
    « on: September 08, 2016, 01:15:18 PM »
    With the answer I got concerning which cable to use I made a patch cable. The cable is 150 feet long. I can't get the internet when I plug the cable into my router and the computer. I bought a cheap cable checker which according to lights on it everything was okay. I plugged my laptop into the router with a short cable and I get the internet. So I know something is wrong with my long cable. I am new to making cables and I am at a lost to what is wrong. Both ends are wired to T-568A. Does anyone have any suggestions.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Putting ends on a cat5E cable.
    « Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 06:08:48 AM »
    Do you have electrical noise?

If you have it strung along areas where there is electrical interference you can have issues. Cat5e is generally good at being shielded from this but if you have it strung across areas where fluorescent lights are or a building with other electrical noise then you can have issues. Other thing you can do is add a switch to the other end of the Cat5e at the computer end and use it as a booster. Cat 5e is rated for 328 feet ( 100 meters ) but in certain situations a switch at the other end of the cable works as a booster and clean the signal up by talking cleanly to the computer thru the switch. The computer then connects to the switch and everything works fine if its just a signal boost needed.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-things/10-things-you-shouldnt-do-when-running-network-cable/

If you do get connected via the switch added. I'd run a persistent ping such as running
    Code: [Select]
    ping www.google.com -t from command shell and look for packet loss. When done with persistent ping you can press CTRL+C to kill it and see the end result or close it by the [X] in dos shell window.

Sometimes the switch will sort of fix for an issue but not completely fix it. Example being: Unable to connect... You add the switch and now it connects with uplink but signal comes and goes as there are dropped packets. If you find out that its electrical noise related such as inside a manufacturing building etc, your other option is to do without the long 150 foot Cat5e run from router to PC and instead run a fiber bridge between the Router and the PC. You would use 2 of these devices with short Cat5e links to them to the router and PC and a fiber optic cable between the fiber bridge devices. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156017&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Network+-+Transceivers-_-N82E16833156017&gclid=CJHR6cihgs8CFZaHaQodDhgKSA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Little Marine

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 08:28:49 AM »
      It is run in a ceiling with fluorescent lights

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 08:53:06 AM »
      Does it connect fine when fluorescent lights are off?

Also guessing it rung out ok after installed for all pairs and that it wasnt just rung out for continuity after making cable but was also rung out after installed so you know that the cable wasnt damaged or pinched in any way when installed?

Additionally if you have extra cable coiled up, it can act like a secondary transformer winding around electrical noise. Its best for extra cable to be slacked out in a ceiling vs coiled up near a source of EMF. If the coiled up extra can be moved away from a EMF problem that works too, but finding the source of the EMF can be tricky sometimes.

tech1126

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 04:21:56 PM »
        I've been a telecom tech for 25 yrs.and when a short cat5e cable works and your handmade 150'cable does not then i suggest you cut the ends off and make new connectors on each end because it's real easy to to put one of the pairs in the wrong slot of your ethernet connector.If  you happen to have a cable checker it will tell you if there is anything wrong with your connectors and /or the cat5e cable itself.It's possible but highly unlikely if somethings wrong with the cable itself if you got it off of a spool of cable,Ok thats about it let us know how it goes!!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 08:59:17 PM »
        If you need to do this kind of work on a regular basis, then an investment is some tools would  be a good idea.

A simple remote tester is a real time saver.

Little Marine

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 06:08:02 AM »
          I had a guy that installs networks for a living. He said everything was connected correctly. He said the router showed too much network traffic. He removed some programs from the computer and the internet is working but still slow. I dont know all the details because I wasnt there. I will look at the computer today.

Little Marine

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 03:19:59 PM »
            I checked the computer this morning. I took some unnecessary programs off and ran CC cleaner. Internet works fine now. Thanks for all the help.
            PS I bought all of the tools in the kit in Geeks post for the next time I make cables.