Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How much monthly bandwidth do I need for Web surfing?  (Read 2720 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
How much monthly bandwidth do I need for Web surfing?
« on: September 21, 2016, 03:36:59 PM »
My family has been talking about this.
How much bandwidth do we need.
At any time there may be two of use using the Internet. We would rather have a 4G data plan rather than  a cable connection.

This article has some points that are not too clear.
How much broadband usage do I really need?
According to Ofcom's Communications Markets Report 2016, the average household spends almost 82 hours online at home each month, whether using their computer, smart TV or a mobile device.
The article then offers a chart and makes this disclaimer...
The problem with this approach is that it appears accurate, but doesn't take into account mixed use, or that different sites and apps can make very different data demands for similar activities.
So, how can I estimated my activity?  :)

Lorraine walsh

Intermediate

• A techie by nature!
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: How much monthly bandwidth do I need for Web surfing?
    « Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 05:32:54 AM »
    Well bandwidth usage varies greatly from user to user and it all depends on their browsing and downloading patterns. If you are using internet for google docs and a little productive surfing, and not going for online games and youtube videos than 200 mb will be enough. If however, you go for online games and youtube videos then more then 600+ gb with a 3mbps+ speed would be enough for your needs.

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 07:36:17 AM »
    My family has been talking about this.
    How much bandwidth do we need.
    At any time there may be two of use using the Internet. We would rather have a 4G data plan rather than  a cable connection.

4G vs Cable could cost you more. If you go over your allotted bandwidth per month with 4G you pay extra; while Cable Broadband hasnt done this yet. There should be plenty of bandwidth with the cable broadband to run more than 2 people using heavy bandwidth. What is your internet speed with no one using bandwidth www.speedtest.net

Such as I have a 25/5 mb/s bandwidth package now and  I have times where Roku is running streaming Netflix over wifi, wide is watching videos on facebook, my daughter is watching youtube and texting her friends on her phone over wifi, and I myself am playing online games that use bandwidth and have had no problems. (*Note: I run DD-WRT and have bandwidth controls set so that the phone which is VoIP gets a bandwidth slice and not choked off of bandwidth as well as I have daughter and wife throttled back on bandwidth to 5mbps/1mbps, so even if wife and daughter are doing heavy download or streaming they are only eating up 10mbps of the 25mbps download speed and 2mbps of the 5mbps upload speed. So I have 15mbps/3mbps left over of which the VoIP is allotted up to 1.5mbps/768k if phone is in use and so my bandwidth for myself is pretty good and no one else in the house knows that I have them throttled. ) ;D

I keep track of my bandwidth by looking at a gadget that I run on Windows 7 as well as my ISP website account shows bandwidth usage stats. I myself only used 68GB of bandwidth for August, however the entire family used 193GB of data.

For my smart phones etc, I shut off my 3G to use wifi, and only enable my 3G when I need to have an internet connection while away from wifi. My family has Tracphones as a cheap cell phone at a cost of $20 a month for 3 phones, $6.66 per phone per month buying the bare minimum time card they have for 60 minutes which they triple to 180 minutes and since phone calls are rare and texting is free over wifi with facebook etc it works out perfect.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 03:08:22 PM »
    DaveLembke,
    Thanks for sharing.