Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Prevent packet sniffers  (Read 3654 times)

askingforhelp

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Prevent packet sniffers
    « on: September 30, 2016, 11:30:07 AM »
    Hi,

How can I prevent hackers from packet sniffing into my connection?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Prevent packet sniffers
    « Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 11:55:22 AM »
    To get a real answer to your question, you must provide more detail.
    In what part of the world do you live?
     - In some regions we can not provide help.
    What kind of network do your have?
    What security tools do you use?
    Why do you think somebody is getting into your network?
    A packet analyzer (also known as a network analyzer, protocol analyzer or packet sniffer—or, for particular types of networks, an Ethernet sniffer or wireless sniffer) is a computer program or piece of computer hardware that can intercept and log traffic that passes over a digital network or part of a network.
    Packet analyzer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia  

Anybody using such a tool would have to have permission to do so.

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 05:58:50 PM »
    If its over WIFI there is no way to prevent it. Anyone can receive the signal within range and capture the radio waves and packets to look at unencrypted packets.

If a wired connection, no one should have physical access to your LAN but you. If its a business, unplug ports to kill off unnecessary jacks around the building. If you have a managed switch you can also further secure what devices connect to the network.

*Most secure is to avoid wifi, avoid communicating over other networks other than home. Use a VPN to tunnel traffic over an encrypted pipe between one system to another.

Anyone with access between you and the system or server at the other end can monkey in the middle to watch packets. Its assumed that the ISP and connection between ISP and the web servers is secure and no rogue employees sniffing packets as a monkey in the middle.

askingforhelp

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 03:37:16 AM »
      Hi Geek-9pm,

Thank you for your answer. I live in Southeast Asia. I have a desktop with Windows 10 connected to a wifi router provided by my ISP. We also have two android phones that connect to the home network through wifi.

I have Avast Antivirus and ZoneAlarm installed and running and recently installed Malwarebytes (free version)

I work from home and use a licensed remote desktop tool to access my client's remote computer to do my tasks. I also have a time tracking software to log the hours I work.

It's a long story, but my neighbors are monitoring my computer activity. I don't know exactly how they do it but they can see when I begin working, when I am about to finish certain tasks and possibly take a break and move away from my computer. I know this because they do certain things to alert those nearby. They also react when I do an antivirus and malware scan or otherwise try to find out how to prevent them from accessing my computer.

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your answer. Based on your reply and what I read online, I am thinking about buying a ethernet over power adapter and buying a tablet with an ethernet adapter for the other person using the internet at home. I want to get away from wifi both for security and health reasons (though the effects to health are still debatable).

I use a paid application to access my client's remote computer to do my tasks. And time tracking software to log my work hours. Unfortunately I am not sure the data passing through these applications are encrypted. Avast has a VPN built in, but apparently it does not stop my neighbors from accessing my computer activity.

I cannot be sure but it is possible they paid off one of the employees of my ISP. But if the data is encrypted from my computer, would they just see the data flow, or would they be able to "read" the data?

Thank you both for your help. I just really want my privacy back  :'(

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 12:56:05 PM »
      I use a paid application to access my client's remote computer to do my tasks. And time tracking software to log my work hours. Unfortunately I am not sure the data passing through these applications are encrypted. Avast has a VPN built in, but apparently it does not stop my neighbors from accessing my computer activity.

I cannot be sure but it is possible they paid off one of the employees of my ISP. But if the data is encrypted from my computer, would they just see the data flow, or would they be able to "read" the data?

Truly encrypted data is worthless without decryption.

How do you know your neighbor is reading your data?

Unless they have a keylogger or some other method of getting your data, I have doubts that they are getting it from the internet connection alone if your really using a VPN tunnel etc.

Do you use a wireless keyboard at all? Do they have a clear shot to look at you on your computer and watch with telescope or binoculars to watch your screen and fingers? Have they ever had access to your system to install anything onto it that is recording and passing unencrypted keystrokes?

Paid off an employee of the ISP .... Not very likely, and how do you assume this, what evidence?

:-\

askingforhelp

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 08:18:42 PM »
        Hi Dave,

Thank you for your reply. I know they can see my computer activity because they make certain sounds to alert those nearby.

I think it is possible they could have installed some form of remote administration tool to view what is going on in my computer screen, or somehow are able to take screenshots and my keystrokes. Or is it possible for them to recreate my computer screen using just packets of data?

I do not use a wireless keyboard and I do not think they can see my screen through the windows since most of them are closed. I tried to rotate my computer screen so even if they could see me at my computer they do not have a clear shot of my computer screen, but apparently they can still see my computer activity.

It is possible they could have gotten into our house while all of us were away. We only have simple door locks. It is easy to climb over the wall or fence. I checked the back of the computer and there does not seem to be anything unusual that is plugged in. Is it possible to have a keylogger installed inside the computer instead of the usual connections outside (USB ports, keyboard port, etc.)?

I do not assume they paid off an employee of the ISP, but I cannot be certain otherwise either.

There is a wifi button on the modem/router, and apparently they can still see my computer activity when I push the button to turn off the wifi.

So, the best option for me, assuming there is no malware in my computer, is to completely disable the wifi, and use a VPN. Would you have a specific VPN service you would recommend?

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 11:07:47 AM »
        If they can get to your computer when your not home then if its a laptop, wipe the system back to factory restore to be clean and bring laptop everywhere you go and lock it in your car hidden.

Why would your neighbors target you?
        How do you know that they have seen your information?

I know they can see my computer activity because they make certain sounds to alert those nearby.

what kinds of sounds do neighbors make and who do they alert, and what are you doing that excites them to alert others?

Please pardon me for saying this but Most of this seems like far fetched paranoia and I am tempted to not respond any further because it seems more of a thread created to be funny vs a real situation.  :-\

askingforhelp

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 06:08:24 PM »
          Hi Dave,

I know it sounds like farfetched paranoia, but I assure you what I say is true :'( However, I would rather not post details on the forum. May I send you a private message instead?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 12:12:08 AM »
          Askingforhelp, you know you sound crazy, right? Foil hat crazy?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 12:22:57 AM »
          Where does he live?
          If the walls of the house are thin and they are right next door, old CRT monitors broadcast the video signal for a short distance. This was documented a few years back. So yes, the neighbors could see his CRT raster with the right kind of broadband shortwave receiver.
          Van Eck phreaking is a form of eavesdropping in which special equipment is used to pick up side-band electromagnetic emissions from electronics devices that correlate to hidden signals or data for the purpose of recreating these signals or data in order to spy on the electronic device. Side-band electromagnetic radiation emissions are present in and, with the proper equipment, can be captured from keyboards, computer displays, printers, and other electronic devices.

Van Eck phreaking
               8)

Warning. Some of the references might lead to phreaking web sites.

This YouTube  video is safe.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozl8_8wzEVI
          « Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 12:35:05 AM by Geek-9pm »