Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: programs launch slow after reboot  (Read 12572 times)

emptypockets62426

Topic Starter

Beginner
    programs launch slow after reboot
    « on: October 06, 2016, 09:46:55 AM »
    I'm cleaning/tuning up a friend's pc and, after rebooting, programs are slow to open--Firefox, IE, any program in Programs List, etc. Once I've clicked on one and wait for it to open, it closes normally. After opening/closing a few, then the pc starts opening/closing progs. better, but not acceptable. However, once opened, using them is a wait and see (hesitations, browser pages taking forever to display and change, typing in Word hesitates, navigation in programs is "stuttery", etc.) Bootup and shutdown times are acceptable. Below are some of the things that I've done to try to solve this problem:

Auslogics--defragged & optimized
    ran Windows Disk Cleanup
    ran Error Checking on c:\--all OK
    ran Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D, Superantispyware, Ccleaner--all OK now
    ran Avast full system scan and boot time scan--OK
    turned of all startup entries except Avast with Ccleaner
    turned of all unneeded services via services.msc at blackviper.com
    Sysinternals Process Explorer with the larger values shows:
         Avast Service--103,468KB
         Avast Antivirus--272,876KB
         Firefox--272,876KB
    Task Manager shows:
         no unusual processes
         Commit Charge
              Total--576976
               Limit--2519648
               Peak--630320
    I have to admit that I'm as dumb as a box of rocks on the Process Explorer and Task Manager readings, but in my research some helpers seem to be interested in these.

I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions that I haven't tried yet. It's probably something simple and obvious, but I can't find out what's causing it. It seems to me that something is running in the background and is causing this behavior. Thanks in advance.

Dell Dimension 2400, 2.4Ghz, 1GB RAM
    Windows XP Home Edition SP3
    Avast free

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: programs launch slow after reboot
    « Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 07:37:50 PM »
    I'm cleaning/tuning up a friend's pc and, after rebooting, programs are slow to open--Firefox, IE, any program in Programs List, etc.

What were your cleaning actions, what software did you use to perform a cleaning process? Is this software used to clean still sitting in the system as a service now after running it to where its now adding an additional resource load to a CPU that is quite slow for modern day internet access and software applications?

You listed a bunch of different things run, and which ones on the list were run leading up to the issue, and which ones were run afterwards to try to find the problem that was added?

emptypockets62426

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 02:24:00 PM »
      Thanks for the reply Dave, but I'm not understanding what you're asking.  I thought I pretty much covered what I've done so far.  Maybe you could give me something specific to start with.  I'm not a pc guru, so I tend to be green as a gourd about most of this stuff.

I'd just like to get programs to open/navigate so the owner doesn't have to sit and wait to use them (and once opened, not be "stuttering" and waiting for web pages to display, change, etc.).

I realize it's an old machine and can't make it turbocharged.  I'm not trying to do that.  She's not a power user, but I KNOW she wouldn't be happy getting it back in this shape.  I'm starting to get a headache waiting for it to respond whenever I want to do anything with it.

If I can give any more info, I'll do so, but, please don't get too techie with me.  I can follow instructions pretty well tho.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 03:04:22 PM »
      You said:
      I'm cleaning/tuning up a friend's pc and, after rebooting, programs are slow to open-
      In general, cleaning and tuning only give small improvements. In some cases such could make things worse.
      Why did your friend want you to do this? Are you sure it is a software issue?  How old is the PC?

emptypockets62426

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 05:06:19 PM »

She complained of it being slow (and she wasn't yanking my chain).  It was painfully slow in trying to do anything.  I don't know if the problem is software or what.  It acts like something is running in the background.  That's why I'm here.

After doing all the things I indicated in my OP, the pc is noticeably improved, except slow application launching/navigating (20-25 seconds to open).  It had 2 A/V programs (a no-no), and Malwarebytes, SAS, Spybot S&D, and Cleaner got rid of lots of junk.  That's when I got it into a state where I can, at least, use it.  She had no idea what "defrag" is.  I've got it to a point that if we can fix this problem, she'll be a happy camper.

I realize it's an old box ('04 or '05), but now it's "cleaner" than when she brought it.  I haven't upgraded IE or Firefox yet because I want to fix this problem first.  Then I'll attend to that.  Yes, more RAM is always better, but she doesn't want to put money into that.  I don't know why--it's affordable, but I'm not the owner.  Besides, as you can tell, she's not a power user, and more RAM won't solve this issue anyway imo.

Since my OP, I installed and ran Seagate's Sea Tool long generic scan on the hard drive--passed.  I'm sorry this is long winded, but I wanted you to have any info you need to help me.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 03:32:30 AM »
        One additional diagnostic step could be to use Resource Monitor to track CPU usage and perhaps even Disk Activity, and see what information it shows during the stuttering issue.

I can say that it is not inherent to the hardware; I have a similar configured system for old software and games (1.8Ghz Pentium 4 with 2GB of RAM) and I don't see the same problems when using it, even when it had 512MB of RAM, ruling out the Memory as the cause.

The biggest difference I can see based on what you've presented here is be the AV, as the system I've got that is comparable has no such software installed. Could be worth disabling that to see if the issue persists to rule it out as a cause.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

emptypockets62426

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 11:37:01 AM »
          Programmer, the "sluggishness" and "stuttering" is constant with anything that's done--acts like something running in the background.

I thought the same thing as you.  Rebooted with A/V turned off and it was still sick.  lol

soybean

Genius
          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 12:09:25 PM »
          I sense you are not really using Task Manager to its full advantage.  If you open Task Manager and select the Processes tab, what % of CPU resources are being consumed?  Look at the list of processes there.  You can scroll down to see the lower part of the list.  You can also click on CPU, i.e. the column header, to sort the processes list in order of % consumption.  What do you see?

emptypockets62426

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 11:10:55 AM »
            soybean, you're sensing correctly cuz I don't understand what it's showing me.  The 2 largest CPU fluctuate between firefox and sysrem idle process.  At one time, FF's plug-in container was in there hogging a LOT of CPU, but then disappeared now altogether.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 11:42:07 AM »
            Sysidle processes sometimes point to a ton of apps loading on startup and runnin in background

DLoad and install Startup CPL by Mike Lin.
            This places a Startup icon in control panel and you can use it to manage all startup apps...Note: Don't disable anything if you don't know what it is such as Windows components...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 11:43:57 AM »
            Note #2...disabling these wont affect the app running...it just stops them from loading at startup which can hog resources...
            All apps will run normal when launched.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

emptypockets62426

Topic Starter

Beginner
              « Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 12:06:03 PM »
              The only startup entry is avastui.exe, according to Ccleaner and msconfig, unless there's somewhere else I should be looking for startup apps.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              « Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 02:01:43 PM »
              Avastui.exe is a type of EXE file associated with avast! Antivirus developed by Avast! Software A.S. for the Windows Operating System. The latest known version of Avastui.exe is 7.0.1474.765, which was produced for Windows XP.
              http://www.solvusoft.com/en/files/error-virus-removal/exe/windows/avast-software-a-s/avast-antivirus/avastui-exe/
              WARNING. This here for reference. It is another promotion for something else. They attack the EXE mentioned and then promote their own product.
              To disable the Avast program, look on the Avast site:
              https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=165027.0
              (They say do not remove it if you are using Avast.)
              So, are  your using Avast as your AV?
              If not, uninstall Avast fully.

emptypockets62426

Topic Starter

Beginner
                « Reply #13 on: October 10, 2016, 02:45:56 PM »
                Yes.  Avast is the A/V on this pc.  As a test (or experiment), I rebooted with Avast turned off.  Had no effect on the problem--it was still there.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                • Geek After Dark
                  • Gekk9pm bnlog
                « Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 07:39:17 PM »
                Well, you could un install Avast fully and reboot. You may want to avoid getting on the Internet with no AV.  Going to thbe Internet withn no AVis like going to the mailbaocx naked. At least put some shorts on. (Metaphorically speaking.)
                MSE gives some bare coverage.
                https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14210/security-essentials-download