Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Live Mail problem  (Read 3158 times)

starlight50

Topic Starter

Rookie

Windows Live Mail problem
    « on: October 06, 2016, 11:54:25 AM »
    Hello,
    When I open Windows Live Mail I can see my mail but for some reason they have stopped downloading since yesterday. I get an error message Ox8DEOOOO5 whatever that means. The strange thing is that I can view my up to date mail no problem on my phone.

With all my attempts to solve the problem, now when I open mail I get a dial-up  box that I cant get rid of. I have broadband which is working fine.
    I hope I have described this properly and that it makes sence.

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Windows Live Mail problem
    « Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 02:27:08 PM »
    What version of windows?
    "Confucius could give answer to that... unfortunately Confucius not here at moment."

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 10:58:37 AM »
    MS announced awhile back that Windows Live Mail would no longer be able to get mail from outlook.com (outlook.com no longer supports the protocol WLM uses (delta sync) to retrieve the mail).  You can change to a different mail client such as Outlook or Thunderbird or you can reconfigure the mail settings in WLM to use IMAP or POP3.  I personally switched to Thunderbird.

starlight50

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 12:17:26 PM »
      I'm using Windows xp. I have been reading suggestions and this is what I've done so far. I went into www.outlook.com went into options, POP and IMAP, clicked yes to Let devices and apps use POP but I didnt allow them to delete messages. I saved my changes and hit the back arrow. After enabling POP3 I opened Windows Live Mail, created a new account for my old email address and checked the box that said Manually config server settings. For incoming server info I selected POP-mail.outlook.com, Port 995, SSL.
      For Outing server smtp-mail.outlook.com, Port 25, TLS.

After doing all this I get a message on my screen saying ' We were unable to reach your e mail provider. Please check your server settings or try again later'.

Strollin you mentioned that outlook.com no longer supports the protocol WLM uses (delta sync) to retrieve the mail). Is that what is wrong I wonder. If I change to Thunderbird can I keep my currant e mail address?

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      « Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 08:53:21 PM »
      Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft. I think you may need to access your email web browser instead of using a email client (program such as Windows Live Mail, Thunderbird, etc.). 

Windows Live Mail is bundled as part of Windows Essentials.  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/11526/windows-essentials-2012-system-requirements says the operating system must be Windows 7 or Windows 8 or Windows Server 2008 R2.  In other words, Windows XP is not listed as an OS meeting system requirements.  So, your claim that have WLM installed on Win XP seems odd.

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 11:55:57 PM »
      POP-mail.outlook.com
      This did not work since that is not the proper server for your email account.  To get that information that you need to properly enter in to for the configuration you will need to check the help section of your email service.

This will also tell if it is POP or IMAP.
      "Confucius could give answer to that... unfortunately Confucius not here at moment."

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      « Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 08:26:15 AM »
      Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft. I think you may need to access your email web browser instead of using a email client (program such as Windows Live Mail, Thunderbird, etc.). 
      I meant to say I think you may need to access your email by web browser ...