Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Weird behavior in chrome  (Read 3917 times)

Gusey

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Experience: Beginner
    Weird behavior in chrome
    « on: October 09, 2016, 12:28:47 AM »
    Hey sorry if this is a dumb question. The chrome pdf viewer keeps opening I close it before it reads whatever pdf it is. Could This be some kind of attempt at executing some javascript? This is sometimes accompanied by pop up webpages that do a bunch of redirect. Never seen it until recently. Hp laptop running Windows 10. Thanks.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Weird behavior in chrome
    « Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 09:38:12 AM »
    What do you expect Chrome, or any browser, to do when it encounters a PDF file? 

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 09:42:02 AM »
    This is sometimes accompanied by pop up webpages that do a bunch of redirect

Install Malwarebytes and do a full scan, sounds like you have something else going on here. PDFs are safe unless you follow a URL within one that requires you to click on. Also what websites are you at when you have this issue or is it all websites?

Lorraine walsh

Intermediate

• A techie by nature!
      « Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 02:31:21 AM »
      Or you can try disabling chrome pdf viewer and enabling the adobe one. If the issue still persists, than you may need to look out for anti-malware programs.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      « Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 12:56:06 PM »
      Hey sorry if this is a dumb question. The chrome pdf viewer keeps opening I close it before it reads whatever pdf it is. Could This be some kind of attempt at executing some javascript? This is sometimes accompanied by pop up webpages that do a bunch of redirect. Never seen it until recently. Hp laptop running Windows 10. Thanks.
      This is simply not an issue.  As I said in my previous post, "What do you expect Chrome, or any browser, to do when it encounters a PDF file?"  If you don't want to see PDF files open in your browser, then don't click on links to them. 
      « Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 01:47:38 PM by soybean »