Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Digital Cable TV over Ethernet  (Read 3349 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Digital Cable TV over Ethernet
« on: October 13, 2016, 07:11:16 PM »
While looking for information, I found this item:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2533218/transmitting-cable-ethernet.html
Transmitting cable TV over Ethernet
Slingbox seems to stream cable TV over the network to devices with a proprietary app installed. I would like to connect the cable to my whole coax network across the street as if I were to hard wire it.
Which leads to...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slingbox
The traditional Slingbox embeds a video encoding chip to do real-time encoding of a video and audio stream into the SMPTE 421M / VC-1 format[5] that can be transmitted over the Internet via the ASF streaming format. Later Slingboxes also support Apple's HTTP Live Streaming,[6] which requires support for H.264.

The Slingboxes up until the Fourth Generation (or Next Generation Slingbox) used a Texas Instruments chipset.[7] Current generation Slingboxes and OEM products are built around a ViXS chipset.[8][9][10]
Control of the hosting video device, usually a set top box, is done through an IR blaster, which, on older Slingboxes, required the use of an IR blaster dongle. Current generation Slingboxes have built in IR blasters on the box itself, though customers can opt to continue to use the IR blaster dongle.
All Slingboxes include an Ethernet port that connects to a local network and out to the Internet. The Slingbox 500 was the first to include built-in Wi-Fi. 
Too much information!   ::)
Do you do this at home?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Digital Cable TV over Ethernet
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 02:26:29 PM »
I wonder how Slingbox compares to services such as Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime.  Or, maybe such comparison doesn't make much sense.  I haven't given this a lot of thought.