Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Caller claiming to be Microsoft trying to obtain access to my PC.  (Read 3916 times)

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
My phone caller ID displays 202-547-8574. If you get a call from this number it is a scam.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Caller claiming to be Microsoft trying to obtain access to my PC.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 08:37:32 AM »
Yes, it's a very old scam. Microsoft never calls you.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 08:48:33 AM »
I kept them on the line 25 minutes 1 nite about a Month ago.....fun.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 09:41:42 AM »
I don't have the patience to keep them on the line that long, there's other things I'd rather be doing than talking on the phone with a worthless scammer.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 12:58:55 PM »
These scammers, in India or the Phillipines usually, have been calling just about everyone in the Western world for the last 7 years at least. This is really well known, but it still gets people, usually elderly or gullible folk.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 01:36:32 PM by Salmon Trout »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 01:33:34 PM »
I don't have the patience to keep them on the line that long, there's other things I'd rather be doing than talking on the phone with a worthless scammer.

Maybe so...but it was 2AM...and i was bored...and i accomplished both my goals...he couldn't call anyone else for that time period...And they have never called back...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 01:52:45 PM »
I once had one of these callers, and I let him say the whole "I'm calling from Windows Security and we've found a problem with your computer! There is a test we can do... " and I acted scared and said "Oh fine!" and I asked him a lot of dumb type questions about viruses which he said he could cure. He said "I'll prove you have a virus. Go to the run box and type CMD and hit Enter." I made him tell me how to do that. I typed CND first. Eventually I said, "OK I did that, I got a black box with white writing in it." Up to here took about 15 minutes because I spun it out. He said "Type A-S-S-O-C and hit Enter." I said "Are you going to tell me to look for ZFSendToTarget and then read me the CLSID, and then get my credit card number?". He said "F**k you! You had sex with your father! And your mother! And your sister! And your brother!" and cut the connection.

MasterChief86

Starter

• Experience: Expert
    « Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 08:38:26 AM »
    Scam. The only thing that may have some truth to it was that leakage conspiracy back in 2013-2014. Other than that, i think with antiviruses, security suites, firewalls and vpns, you're pretty much safe... provided you don't panic or fall for the bait.

ItsJustArt1c

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 12:08:31 PM »
      Windows called me even tho i use a mac :P

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 05:04:37 PM »
      As strange as this might sound, these scammers have also been targeting people on IMVU. I go to IMVU to chat with other adults there and listen in to chat in a virtual space and get my laughs. And on IMVU there is the ability to invite people to private chat sessions. I had an invite and figured I'd check to see what this was all about. To my surprise it was a guy who claimed that he is from Microsoft Support and he noticed that my computer was running slowly.

The scammer thought I was a female and I pretended to be a female and not very computer savy. I said its my boyfriends computer and that its so cool that Microsoft has teamed up with IMVU to give this free help. He then said the help is not free mam. I said oh its not? And he said no. Its $49.95. I said ok... um how do I pay for this service. he said I need a credit card. I said hmmmm... oh my boyfriend has one in his wallet. He said very good. I said be right back and wasted about 10 minutes of this scammers time. Then I came back and said ok I finally found his wallet. So he said very good. please give me the credit card number, so I started off the number with the first 4 digits of a real credit card so it looked like a legit number and then gave him other numbers and said B instead of 8 and  E instead of 3. He said mam credit cards do not have letters. I was like well Im looking at his card and it has a B and an E in the number. He was like is the B and 8? I was like hmmmm maybe. he then is like what is the E it has to be a number. I then said oh sorry I am dyslexic and its a 3. He said very good. He then asked for the expiration date in which I told him an expired date of like 03/14. He was like mam that card is not good. I was like why? He said that card is expired mam. i was like oh... it is? Hmmm... he said does your boyfriend have another credit card. I said oh.. hmmm looking through his wallet. Then said oh I have one of those prepaid cards that i got for my birthday with $200 on it, could I use one of those? He said yes mam.. I said ok brb I need to go get it. So had him on hold again but not too long that he would leave, I let about 7 minutes pass. I then came back with a prepaid card that I had that was already used up that I got from a newegg rebate. I gave him that number and expiration date and code on the back of the card. He than said ok mam please wait while I process this transaction. he came back about 2 minutes later and said the card doesnt work. I said oh it doesnt. He said it isnt working. I then said OHHHHHHHHH... I forgot I bought makeup and a new dress with it and some other clothes pretending to be a stereotypical american female to an foreigner. He said mam. I am losing my patience with you. I said why? He said you gave me 2 cards that are no good. How am I to help you if your not paying for this service. I said um... do you take a check. He paused and said yes I can take a check. He said ok I need the account name so I started off with a name like Anita Money ... I thought he was going to pick up on this name right away but he didnt, he had me verify the spelling A N I T A   M O N E Y ... Then he asked for the address and I said 6 6 6 ... then Lucifer Way and he still didnt pick up on this, and then the town and state i said Dallas, New York and still no problems and then zip code 8675309 and he said mam thats too many numbers. I said oh it is then I said your now losing my patience and I then cursed him out and he then said all sorts of nasty stuff back to me about what he is going to do to me as a female which i cant not share here. But like others who have wasted these scam artists time, I also did it to keep them from praying on others and also because I got my kicks out of ruining this scammers day.  :P  Not all females online are females  ;D