Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Freedom pop sells used pholnes - (Bogus)  (Read 4083 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Freedom pop sells used pholnes - (Bogus)
« on: November 19, 2016, 07:22:55 PM »
This is a Bogus news story.
Freedom pop has been around for awhile. They claim to have a working cell phone service that covers the more populated areas of the USA.
But it is very hard to find a real story for a major source.

So  that's why  can it a Bogus News Story. The sites announcing tghis 'news' might well be a set of sties created to foster this kind of artificial news.

So far, I can not find out how they make any money with this kind of advertising. So, for what it is worth, here is the story:

FreedomPop Is Now Selling Used Smartphones for Cheap
Including models from Apple and Samsung.

FreedomPop, a U.S.-based free mobile phone service provider, plans to begin selling refurbished, used smartphones in several American and European markets for a fraction of the cost of new handsets.

FreedomPop said it will sell used smartphones at up to 80% off the manufacturer’s suggested retail prices initially the United States, Britain, Mexico and Spain.

The Los Angeles-based company, backed by top venture capitalists, said it aims to make in-roads into the highly fragmented used-phone market by creating FreedomShop, a centralized market for certified, pre-owned smartphones.

FreedomShop will compete with marketplaces for used electronics on eBay or Amazon.com by offering more than 100 different models from brands including Apple, Samsung and LG Electronics.

Globally, consumers are expected to trade in more than 120 million phones next year, generating wholesale revenue of around $17 billion, the company said, citing data from Deloitte Global.

Deloitte estimates that the refurbished phone market is growing four to five times faster than the sluggish new phone market, which market research firm Gartner estimates will grow a modest 1.6% in 2016 to 1.5 billion units.
FreedomPop said it has established relationships with more than 200 refurbished smart phone suppliers stretching from multi-billion dollar logistics players that manage trade-in programs for U.S. carriers to small family-run wholesalers.
It said it will offer consumers a 30-day “no questions asked” money-back guarantee for phones bought from it.
To date, FreedomPop primarily offers various free mobile voice and data packages in the United States and Britain.
It also recently entered the Mexican market through a deal with pay TV joint venture Dish Mexico.
Since its founding in 2012, FreedomPop has raised $109 million in funding from leading venture capital firms including LetterOne, Mangrove Capital, DCM, Partech, Intel Capital, Axiata, and Atomico.

Link:
http://fortune.com/2016/11/17/freedompop-used-smartphones/

The site fortune.com claims to be some kind of important web site.
But I have my doubts.   >:(

Salmon Trout

Re: Freedom pop sells used pholnes - (Bogus)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 02:51:59 AM »
I don't know why you think it's "false". There are lots of stories about them. They have been operating in the USA and Europe for over a year. The free offers are an attention-getter. It's a classic scheme - offer something free which is so limited the user soon upgrades to a paid tier. The main verdict seems to be like this

"PROS / Thanks to its free 500MB offer, it's a fine choice for extremely light users.

CONS / Its website is confusing and there's no telephone support, so figuring out which plan you should pick can be tough.

VERDICT / However cheap its tiers might be, terrible support and slow WiMAX-era speeds make FreedomPop a disappointing mobile broadband provider."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreedomPop

http://www.toptenreviews.com/services/internet/best-mobile-broadband-providers/freedompop-review/

« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 03:15:16 AM by Salmon Trout »

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 11:05:13 AM »
Salmon Trout,
Thank you for the clarification.
My problem is with the web site. It is hard to believe it is for a real business. I tried to get their offer and it never came in the mail. But here the mail is not 100%, so I can not be sure why I did not get the SIM card.

The information I found about the site seem to be PR puffs and not base on user experience. For my, that is a sign of a vaporware business plan. In view of the time thy have been in business, one would expect a sport system that would work for cheap customers.

Well, guess what I just did. I tried again to get a SIM card. This time they set up a tracking system so I can see where it is in the pipeline.
But what bothers me is the logical errors on the web site. It is as if part of the site was never finished. The only part of the site that works is where you pay out some money, more than $1, for some kind of extra feature.

So now I will wait and see if I get a free account.    ;D
Below is the URL of their site.
www.freedompop.com
BTW: When I click on this, it remembers who I am and has the 'free' phone number they gave me. I will let you know next week if the SIM card every comes in the mail.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 11:11:49 AM »
Reconsidering your restrictions for posting News again...just sayin.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "