Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Really bad ping spiking - only on new computer  (Read 3227 times)

BobJimbo

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Really bad ping spiking - only on new computer
    « on: November 25, 2016, 11:13:47 AM »
    I recently bought a new PC to replace my ageing laptop that I hoped I would be able to play graphically not-terrible video games on and the like, but whereas on my laptop the internet connection was nice and smooth, on my new custom desktop I have a consistently good download speed like before, but while playing I get often and severe, though irregular, ping spikes. Really could use some help as I'm stumped! (not that I'm well trained in internet troubleshooting)

ISP is Keysurf or Keycom (one or the other). I've currently got my PC and my phone connected to the WiFi but the lag spikes remain when I disconnect my phone.

Used a ping tracking program and it seems to be normal (~30ms) until I am using the internet for something, be it a game or a video, and then the ping starts spiking.

No ethernet availability where I live so that's not a possible solution.

Also tried turning off Antivirus and updating drivers.

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3
    Ram is: HyperX FURY Black Series 8 GB 2133 MHz
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 232 GB (164 GB Free); D: 931 GB (891 GB Free);
    Motherboard: MSI, Z170-A PRO (MS-7971)
    Antivirus: Kaspersky Internet Security, Enabled and Updated

WiFi adaptor: TP-LINK TL-WN881ND

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Really bad ping spiking - only on new computer
    « Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 06:49:12 PM »
    As you reach bandwidth congestion you will see latency spikes. That do you get for speeds through www.speedtest.net? Do any of the games have updates going on in the background where new game content is downloading and consuming bandwidth? What games are played when the spike happens. ( I had an issue with a free to play game with Pando media booster making my gameplay latent I was being a seed for other players to get game content updated through the torrent connection . ) I killed Pando Media Booster to remove myself from being a seed and this fixed that issue. http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3540462

Is this wifi shared with any others who might be using bandwidth, as well as what is your signal strength, weaker signal strength will increase latency as for you could have dropped packets and it then has to resend packets which adds lag. If you can connect hard wired to the internet and see how it behaves that might help to. You then would know if its your wifi as the problem vs ISP connection.

BobJimbo

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 10:23:30 AM »
      Hey, thanks for replying. It is League of Legends that I play, funnily enough, but I installed it after they got rid of Pando Media Booster.

The WiFi is shared with many others, yes, and I would attribute this problem to that except it only happens on one computer and not the other. I cannot connect wired to the internet due to it not being available in my university residences currently (I found this out after I bought an ethernet cable, and tried).

I've linked a video of some league gameplay (not particularly impressive) to give you an idea of what the problem looks like.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9F0NKChUZc

BobJimbo

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 10:31:46 AM »
        Can you reply please?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 11:05:11 AM »
        Just wait. This is not a chat room.
        Ping spikes are very, very hard to isolate. So you will have to do a lot of stetting and waiting.
        Some ideas.   
          Create a new user account and log into it. See if that makes any difference.
          Boot up your system with a OS that runs from a USB stick. **
          Can you try a 32 bit version of Windows?  (Possible bad  64 bit driver)
          (Even the same OS may have variant network behavior.)
        Also, if you take your computer over to another location and get into some other the Wi-Fi , what happens?

** Windows to go from Microsoft.
        http://www.intowindows.com/4-tools-to-create-windows-to-go-usb-of-windows-10/