Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Multiple Bluescreens  (Read 3448 times)

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Multiple Bluescreens
« on: November 25, 2016, 02:46:42 PM »
Hello all!

My computer specs:
Asus M5A97 Motherboard
AMD FX-6300 Processor
GeForce GTX 760 Video Card
8 GB ram
Windows 7

I am getting two blue screens often (neither of which I can get to appear in Blue Screen view for some reason). These began after installing a new SSD (crucial 500GB) and installing Windows to it.

The first:
KERNAL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR(Stop error 00007a)

The second:
A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. (Stop error 0000f4)

The first, I've seen before, usually points to faulty memory. I ran a hard drive test (the hard drive test software provided by the manufacturer, CRUCIAL) on my new SSD drive, thinking that was the problem, but it came back clean. So I ran MemTest+ on my RAM, and it came back clean. Then, suddenly the crashes stopped.

For three days.

Today, I jump on my computer, and it's crashing every few minutes - throwing either the "Process terminated" or Kernal data" error very rapidly. The computer crashes suddenly, regardless of what I am doing.

I ran checkdisc on all my hard drives (I have 3, 2 SSD 1 HDD). They all ran fully and came back clean. I ran SMART tests from the manufacturer of the drives, all clean. Ran MemTest+ again, clean.

Now I've been using it for about 5 hours no problem. Like the tests are fixing it temporarily (I know that isn't the case).

My next step is to pick up some new ram, switch it out, and see if that helps things. If not, I'm pulling the new SSD and going back to the old one to see if that fixes it. If pulling the new drive doesn't fix it, I'll whip out the other drives and see if I can find which one is failing (if one is failing). Does anyone here have any other suggestions?

Thank you for any assistance!  ;D

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Multiple Bluescreens
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 06:58:07 PM »
I ran checkdisc on all my hard drives (I have 3, 2 SSD 1 HDD).

The SSD might be faulty. I had one I had to send back because it was crashing my system. The issue was band aided by relocating the paging to a HDD. For some reason the SSD had a glitch in which it would inject bad info from the SSD to RAM and crash it out just like you have going on. The drive I had with this issue was a Crucial M500 240GB on my workstation that is running the Kabini Quadcore Sempron 1.3Ghz with 4GB RAM and Windows 7 64-bit. I got a replacement SSD in mail about 3 weeks later and this new one doesnt have the issue. I also tried firmware update for the SSD and that didnt fix it. You can try a firmware update for the drive if one is available. CrystalDiskInfo showed no problems in the S.M.A.R.T data.

I doubt your system RAM is the cause.

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 01:57:35 PM »
Hello DaveLembke,

Thanks for the insight.

Yes, my drive is also a Crucial drive, so it sounds as though this may be the case.

Do you think it would be safe to do a system image from my current SSD to put on the new one, or should I just install Windows on the new drive (start from scratch?) Not sure if this is a problem that might "move" with the data...probably not, I hope?

Thanks!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 04:13:06 PM »
How long did you run MemTest ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 09:56:10 AM »
Memtest86 should be run for 3 hours or so to make sure multiple passes is what patio is getting at. Reading back, I thought this system was upgraded from HDD to SSD where the SSD destabilized it. Maybe I am getting through thread confused with another that I assisted.

If you can image the SSD to a HDD and run off just the HDD that would be a good test to eliminate whether its the SSD or not. If its RAM it will happen no matter what drive is installed.

I was able to successfully use macrium reflect to image off the trouble drive I had to a HDD and ran on that HDD with no problems until the replacement drive arrived. I then imaged from HDD back to replacement SSD and no problems for me.

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 04:56:40 PM »
Hello all!

So, I went and got a new SSD and pulled out the old one.

The issues went away.

I was able to return the SSD to Crucial (even though the warranty was up) as they stated there was some defect and sent me a new one.

So, Yay!

Thanks for the help.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 05:04:36 PM »
Kewl...thanx for reporting back with success !
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "