Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: newer games and what the rules are  (Read 6070 times)

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
newer games and what the rules are
« on: November 26, 2016, 01:19:47 PM »
Greetings,

Ive never done or installed steam yet and was wondering how it all works.
Currently I want to get GTA V on DVD from Staples/Best Buy.

If I buy it there, can myself and my brother both play at the same time? I get it comes with serials but is it one users only or?

I remember GTA IV had a serial and allowed 5 uses of that serial. is the same thing with GTA V?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: newer games and what the rules are
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 09:43:44 PM »
The DVD version comes on 7 DVDs and includes only one activation code. You can install it to more than one system but it cannot be used on more than one PC at a time.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 11:56:50 AM »
The game is intended for one player per license. If the game is available through steam you might be able to get it at a cost lower than that of a physical store copy. I buy discounted games through Steam as well as Humble Bundle Store in which Humble bundle sells games at discount and part of the money goes to charity. Many of the Humble Bundle games give you keys to activate the game on steam. They also sell sometimes DRM Free games where you can download a physical copy as well as use the steam key to activate there as well. Situations with game offerings that are DRM Free and dont require online authentication to play the game, multiple copies could be running at the same time, although your not suppose to.

One game I was very happy to get a DRM Free version of is Torchlight II, as for when I travel I like to play games while flying and bored. Most airlines I am on dont have internet and so I have to play games that are offline only. Up to that point buying online or buying a physical copy of the game, the game required logging online to play and maintain an internet connection to play it. It was really nice that they made this available for offline play.

It will probably be a long time before GTA V is available DRM Free, as for there is a loss of control in how many multiples can be running it.

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 09:48:19 PM »
I don't like the idea behind steam. I'm not getting a physical copy. so if they shut off the server I'm screwed. no installer no iso, image nothing. they install it and run it all. maybe if I got at least the installer file id be a little more happier.

Yes I know its to avoid piracy so don't throw that in my face.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 12:01:31 AM »
Steam has been around for over 15 years. skepticism was warranted at it's introduction but I think at this point- where game software is so large it has to either be  put on a Blu-Ray (which few people have in their PC) or several DVDs, it just makes more sense, particularly given it's proven track record of sticking around. If they just up and shut down and left everybody in a lurch watchdog groups would be all over them.

Interestingly, the Physical version suffers from much the same issue anyway; it connects to an online server to check for activation status and if you aren't connected or say the server is shut down, you can't play it.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 04:42:59 AM »
Yes I know its to avoid piracy so don't throw that in my face.

Didnt mean to upset you with the reasoning behind why... the dont throw that in your face, nothing thrown, just stating the facts and reasoning.

Steam has been around for years and is VERY successful. I have about $1000 in games purchased through or handled through them with 119 titles in my library with them. Most expensive game costing $30 and least expensive costing $1.

I dont see steam going out anytime soon. Additionally they have where game progress is saved with them for games that have save states so if you play a game between multiple systems it will sync with their server and you can pick up where you left off with a different computer. I love this feature because in the past a system crashing sometimes meant lost game states. With them I can uninstall a game and reinstall it and pick up where I left off with certain titles.

booxm

Rookie

• Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 04:44:03 AM »
it's like putting money in a bank... you don't have the phisical copy, and if the bank fails, you're left with... nothing. But seriously, what are the odds of a bank failing?

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 07:40:27 AM »
On this analogy the only flaw in it is that here in the USA the money is protected by the FDIC if a federal bank. Thinking that maybe only a credit union that fails might be a partial or total loss. Partial loss since the way that people would be compensated for their losses would be through liquidation of capital assets and so people might see a percentage of their money back based on the sale of capital property that the credit union owned before imploding on itself.

There is a website to see if your bank is listed as protected to $250,000 https://www5.fdic.gov/drrip/afi/index.asp

I belong to a credit union for example that is not insured by the FDIC and keep just a small amount of money ( $25 USD ) in there for the loan benefits they have. To get loans at 1 to 2% cheaper through them has its benefits and I dont see them failing so im not worried about my $25 i have in there.

The other thing is that its best not to have all your eggs in one basket. I for example have a special saving account with one bank just for paypal and online purchases with only the money in there that I am willing to risk if it ever got hacked etc. This way i dont get cleaned out. My brother got cleaned out by a hacker that got his paypal info about 10 years ago due to his system infected with a keylogger. He didnt know it until checks started bouncing and by that time his account was empty. He never saw his $900 ever again and had no cash reserve elsewhere to pull from. We all chipped in to help him pay rent etc.

booxm

Rookie

• Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 10:40:41 AM »
Good points Dave ;)
Not sure if all of them can (or if it makes sense to) be applied to videogames though