Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do I install a program for a specific user,only!!  (Read 10431 times)

karlosss

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    How do I install a program for a specific user,only!!
    « on: November 30, 2016, 02:22:43 AM »
    We have a VPS with more then 8 admins , users etc..
    So my question is: How do I install a program for a specific user,only! and without appearing the shortcuts on ALL users desktops and without appearing in start Menu neither! I can remove the progr. icon from my start menu but i can't delete from All users menu

-Many programs don't have the option to install a progr. only for the current user

p.s
    i work with windows 7 and server2008 only!

thank you

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: How do I install a program for a specific user,only!!
    « Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 10:29:04 AM »
    The answer is found on the Microsoft web site. But the way it is done might not be what you  would like. The problem is that you have too many administrators.
    Maybe yeou will have to somehow put most of the users into some group.
    Fore Windows 8:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-security/how-do-i-install-an-app-visible-on-one-user/5bc629d1-c62a-47fd-b9c9-d74688442f52
    Motr general method:
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/139248-How-do-I-install-an-application-for-just-one-user

You may need to re-think the way you manage users. When many people share the same computer, you don't want them all to have the same level of authority. Consider  Group Policy.
    See this:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh147307(v=ws.10).aspx
    Group Policy for Beginners
    This white paper is an introduction to Group Policy. It first provides an overview of what you can do with Group Policy, and then it describes essential concepts that you must know. For example, what is a Group Policy object (GPO)? What does inheritance mean? With the fundamentals out of the way, this white paper provides step-by-step instructions, with plenty of screenshots, for the most common Group Policy tasks.
    Even if you can not use Group Policy in your workplace, the concepts are important. Not everybody can be a chief. You may have to de-mote all users who should not use the special program.

IMO, you and your group need to consider having a group policy, at least as a concept.
    Hope that helps.  :)

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: How do I install a program for a specific user,only!!
    « Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 10:46:58 AM »
    I've seen it done a few different ways. Some installers ask if its for everyone or just the user that is installing it which makes it easy. If the installer has that option then you elevate their privileges as an admin of the system making them admin temporarily and install the software just for them as the installer has the option for, then after installed you drop their privileges back to user so they cant install anything else etc. Then that program on that system is set up just for them.

Method for systems where there is no option to deselect for everyone would require pruning the desktop shortcut and path from the users who dont need that software as for its part of their profile. Sometimes its as easy as altering the all users profile specification and then adding the shortcut for just that one user who needs it.

Group policy is the better means.