Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: serious malfunction alert  (Read 3291 times)

runbunch

Topic Starter

Rookie

serious malfunction alert
    « on: December 06, 2016, 08:09:01 PM »
    The following popped up on my computer....Dear customer a serious malfunction has been detected with windows 10 and firefox 50.0 please call tollfree 855 638 8522. Do not shutdown or restart your computer or serious damage will occur. What gives?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: serious malfunction alert
    « Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 08:14:20 PM »
    SCAM....Not worth a reply.

I will suggest however visiting the Malware section of our Forums and starting a post...
    They'll get you cleaned up over there.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: serious malfunction alert
    « Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 10:10:27 AM »
    The following popped up on my computer....Dear customer a serious malfunction has been detected with windows 10 and firefox 50.0 please call tollfree 855 638 8522. Do not shutdown or restart your computer or serious damage will occur. What gives?
    Actually, you're at high risk to experience serious damage if you do not shutdown.  Do not attempt to close the popup you see and do not try to do a normal shutdown because that might simply lead to the malicious attack being successful in doing its damage.  I would shutdown immediately by either unplugging the computer or holding the power button for 4 seconds to force a shutdown.  If computer users who encounter such malicious attacks on their computer allow the session to continue and try to somehow stop the intrusion, I believe they might quickly become a ransomware victim (i.e. have to call a phone # and pay a fee to get your computer operating again).  After forcing a shutdown and upon restarting, the first thing I would do is ran a scan with at least one malware detection/removal tool such as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. 

I've encountered similar situations in the last few months while using my desktop system online and I took the approach I described above.