Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless issues  (Read 2403 times)

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Wireless issues
    « on: December 12, 2016, 01:10:38 PM »
    Hello

I am having a problem with logging on to the Internet wirelessly using my MCI U130 Notebook because I suspect that the FN key I use normally (FN + F11) is no longer working (though the Notebook is almost never used). For the same reason, I imagine, the Web cam is not activated (FN + F6).

However, the green WLAN light is on on my router and I can connected using an Ethernet cable.

At some point, I am hoping to bypass the FN key and use a command line in Command Prompt, but for now I am a bit concerned as to why my network adapters take an age to search for updates. In fact, after about 20 minutes for each of the three adapters, I give up. My Device Manager looks like this (attached).

I have uninstalled each of the three adapters and, on restarting, Windows 7 has put them back but, again, it looks forever for driver updates. I can download other software, though - I have just downloaded the Microsoft Repair Tool, for example.

How would I check the integrity of the two wireless adapters I can see in Device Manager, please?

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Wireless issues
    « Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 06:15:20 PM »
    1.  Have you checked the BIOS to make sure the WiFi is enabled there?
    2.  When you type IPConfig /all does it show the WiFi having any information?
    3.  Cleaned the crumbs and dust out of the keyboard?

"Confucius could give answer to that... unfortunately Confucius not here at moment."

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 06:56:26 PM »
      I would not know how to check the BIOS but it has worked wirelessly before.

Anyway, about 30 mins ago I realised that in Network Connections there is a difference between Not Connected and Disabled. When you press Fn + F11 that wireless connection icon in Network Connections should then change to Connected and show your Network. I just right-clicked, selected Connect/Disconnect in the menu that popped up, typed in my network key which it asked for, and I was then connected.

After all these months!

I have restarted a couple of times and it automatically shows connected in wireless, and I removed the Ethernet cable, so as not to confuse the poor thing, and it's fine.

Thanks for your help.

High1

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
        • Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 08:34:42 PM »
      No problem glad you got it sorted.
      "Confucius could give answer to that... unfortunately Confucius not here at moment."