Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BBC says Windops 10 pops Wireless off.  (Read 4714 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
BBC says Windops 10 pops Wireless off.
« on: December 14, 2016, 10:23:11 AM »
What makes this newsworthy is the source. BBCm yes the BBC now bad mouths Wimdows 10 for turning off your wireless connection.
(Of course the workaround is to use Ethernet insterad of  wureless. But thatis not the issue here.)

So, whyh would the BBC now call attention to an issue that has been around for so loong? Well, reade the story for yhour self.

BBC says Windows 10 drops Wireless.

An update to Windows software has caused problems for personal computer users trying to connect to the internet.
Several European internet service providers (ISPs) have highlighted the problem, which can strike regardless of the type of router box or the particular ISP in use.

Salmon Trout

Re: BBC says Windops 10 pops Wireless off.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 01:32:06 PM »
"So loong"? One week, I believe. KB3206632 fixes it, apparently.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 04:46:12 PM »
Earlier KB 3069068  June 11, 2015 fix:
http://windowsreport.com/microsoft-windows-10-patch-fix-unexpected-loss-wifi-connectivity/
Today:
"So loong"? One week, I believe. KB3206632 fixes it, apparently.
What is KB3206632? Is it 1607? I just got it today.
somebody just said:
Microsoft was tight lipped as always, but did publish a notification on the KB3201845 support page -- go figure! -- that asked users to restart the affected  PC to fix the issue.

Salmon Trout, It is hard for me to understand these updates as they come with very bare  documentation. Would it be so hard to have somebody at MS write a 300 word document with each update so that we know what it is?
Also, some checking shows that MS claimed to have fixed the drop out problem much earlier. Possibly the programmers at MS suffer for some kind of memory loss wherein one can not remember a fix they already did.

Post Script:
Anther KB barely documented:
Microsoft pulls KB article 3201845 for Windows 10 14393.479
KB 3201845 isn't listed on the Win10 update history page, but the cumulative update can still be downloaded from the Microsoft Update Catalog
http://www.infoworld.com/article/3149590/microsoft-windows/microsoft-pulls-kb-article-3201845-for-windows-10-14393479.html
June this year.
I believe I am an above average user and I am confused.   :-[
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 05:01:05 PM by Geek-9pm »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 05:15:31 PM »
KB Updates are named the same as the Knowledge Base Articles covering them. First hit from Google is the KB support page. I'm not sure how you were searching for information such that you found other links.

KB3201845 was released on December 9th and introduced issues with wifi connections. It was pulled when the issues were discovered, and has been replaced with KB3206632  made available on Tuesday (13th), which fixes the problem.

It is not related to the issues which were seen and fixed in 2015 via KB3069068 in the Technical Preview releases of the Operating System.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 05:43:58 PM »
BC_Programmer, thanks for the clarification.
Right now one can just enter the KB number in Google and find the most recent stories. It seems this update has got a lot of attention. In addition to the wireless problem, it also goes to other issue that needed attention.
The new update was released to fix a problem with internet connections dropping for Windows 10 users, which Microsoft officially acknowledged in a blog post on December 8. The post has since been updated (on 12/13/’16) to reflect the new fix.
Cumulative Windows 10 Update KB3206632 should come through as a forced update, says Microsoft, but you can also go to Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update and click Check for Updates.
http://1reddrop.com/2016/12/14/new-windows-10-update-released-cumulative-update-kb3206632-build-14393-576/

The BBC article was published before the new update. They have no put this on that page:
Update 14 December 2016:
Microsoft says it has issued a further update to Windows 10 that will automatically install and resolve connectivity problems.
BBC has other earlier stories  about Windows 10.