Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Connected, No network Access  (Read 3081 times)

ThreeDonkeys

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Connected, No network Access
    « on: December 15, 2016, 04:34:38 AM »
    I have tried ipconfig /release, renew, and flushdns. Winsock and netsh as well. DHCP is connected. IPV4 settings are set to automatic.The external network adapter works. I am able to connect to another wifi, but not the one I want. It says connected, no network access. When I use the troubleshooter, it says the wifi doesn't have a valid wifi configuration. I am not about to change anything on any kind of router/modem as the wifi is provided through a third party.

This is the message I get when I try to do ipconfig /release and renew:
    "No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection *2 while it has its media disconnected"

I don't know what that is really, but the Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi which is right below it is what I'm using. When I switch wifis, the IPV4 seems to be correct on the one I can use, 192.168... On the one not working for me, it says 169.254.... That is labeled next to autoconfig IPV4 address while the one working is just IPV4. The default gateway is also blank on the messed up one while the good one has 192.168... as well as having "DHCP Server" I went to check on the IPV4 and the bad one is autoconfig with no settings, while the good one has the 192.168... and whatnot.

I use a external wifi adapter. It is awake and I have done any troubleshooting on it that I could think of. I do not use VPNs or proxies. I disabled the firewall with a command and restarted. Still nothing. I have done a network reset via the built in option in win10, did not work. I tried safe mode with networking, but all that happened was a black screen with the asus logo.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Connected, No network Access
    « Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 07:04:19 AM »
    Connected to other wireless networks without a problem. Connecting to a 3rd party network and you have issues. The issue is with the 3rd party network. If you dont have access to working on that 3rd party network then you will need to contact whoever owns that 3rd party network and see if they have it configured in a manner to not allow your connection to it.

Your connectivity issue reminds me of a person once needing to get onto a 3rd party wifi that showed that it wasnt secured and it appeared open. They complained that they can connect to the wifi but wasnt able to get out to the internet. In the end they were trying to get around a paid for internet service at an airport where it shows up as unsecured but you needed to go through a browser connection to authenticate and pay for internet use time.

When you launch your browser on this network and try to go to say google does it bring you to their website asking you to agree to terms and conditions or logon with an account or asking you to pay for internet access?

ThreeDonkeys

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 03:18:11 AM »
      Connected to other wireless networks without a problem. Connecting to a 3rd party network and you have issues. The issue is with the 3rd party network. If you dont have access to working on that 3rd party network then you will need to contact whoever owns that 3rd party network and see if they have it configured in a manner to not allow your connection to it.

Your connectivity issue reminds me of a person once needing to get onto a 3rd party wifi that showed that it wasnt secured and it appeared open. They complained that they can connect to the wifi but wasnt able to get out to the internet. In the end they were trying to get around a paid for internet service at an airport where it shows up as unsecured but you needed to go through a browser connection to authenticate and pay for internet use time.

When you launch your browser on this network and try to go to say google does it bring you to their website asking you to agree to terms and conditions or logon with an account or asking you to pay for internet access?

It does not, I have already paid for this period and I have no restrictions on how long I can use it. It gives me that generic error message to check firewall, router, etc..

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 07:24:54 AM »
      Can you share error message here. Copy paste or screenshot of it. Additionally, have you contacted the provider for this paid for service to see if they are any help as for they might be able to tell you faster than we can as to what the generic message means?

ThreeDonkeys

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 03:55:46 AM »
        I have contacted the service provider and they have said that there is an "issue" at my location and are trying to resolve it. Hopefully that was the problem, seeing as I downloaded the latest fix from Microsoft,( the 1607 one ) and it did nothing. I will update this with any new information, thank you.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
          • Yes
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 11:04:39 AM »
        Check the time and date to make sure they are set properly if they are not correct and reboot.

Have you reset the browser and is it just affecting the one or all browsers?

Do you use a separate email software while on that network does it send/receive?
        "Confucius could give answer to that... unfortunately Confucius not here at moment."

ThreeDonkeys

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 04:26:35 AM »
          Check the time and date to make sure they are set properly if they are not correct and reboot.

Have you reset the browser and is it just affecting the one or all browsers?

Do you use a separate email software while on that network does it send/receive?

The time and date are correct, how is that related?

I cannot access the internet with anything.

No.

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
            • Yes
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 11:29:18 PM »
          Time settings typically don't affect internet connectivity, however if it is significantly off, certificates can show as expired or not yet valid, causing browser warnings.

I am not about to change anything on any kind of router/modem as the wifi is provided through a third party.
          Have you contacted them to see if they have any special configurations that need to be done before you make a connection.
          Check to make sure that you are properly added to their network.
          "Confucius could give answer to that... unfortunately Confucius not here at moment."

ThreeDonkeys

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 04:00:41 AM »
            It appears to be fixed! This is what they said when I asked what the problem was though.

"I was able to research into what was happening around the time you reported in. There were no errors showing in the system. But I was able to see that there was maintenance on 12/16/16 being done to some of the equipment at this location. But the maintenance only lasted for 6hrs. So we are exactly unsure of why you were unable to connect on the 14th."

I guess I'll never truly know why.