Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sound Not working properly  (Read 5247 times)

Yevenna

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Sound Not working properly
    « on: December 23, 2016, 12:17:10 PM »
    For the past month, I've been having sound problems.  Basically, as shown in the two attachments below, my system volume is  higher than WMP or Chrome -which usually peaks at 18% while at the same time my system volume is at 50%.  It's not my browser as many forums suggest because it happens with WMP and even games. 
    I've been searching for a solution for this problem since it started and I've yet to find a one that works (though most of them say the same thing: Go into your sound mixer and unmute Chrome or Go into your sound mixer and turn up the volume, neither of which, of course, help.  I've also been told to reinstall Chrome, even after I said the problem wasn't just with my browser.
    My sound card is up-to-date, I have no viruses or malware to cause this, and my system settings for audio have never been changed.
    While this may not be a major issue, it is something that is constantly irritating and I would appreciate any help I get.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Sound Not working properly
    « Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 12:39:22 PM »
    Yes, it is a problem. But did something change recently?
    A Google search shows  many  complain about low volume level in Windows 7.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=sound+level+problems+in+windows+7&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
    This one looks good:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/windows-7-low-volume-on-speakers/acabf5d9-3df3-4b68-b91d-e880c0c37602
    Sad to say, but it does not look like there is a quick fix.
    There are a number of you tube videos.
     You already saw them?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpyqMGodYRE
    If you go to  that link you can see other related videos about windows sound.

Yevenna

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 03:30:07 PM »
      Nothing's changed in my settings or OS, but it does seem to be a wide-spread problem.  I'm not sure if it's just on Win7, as my Win10 computer has started having the same problem.  I'm updating my drivers as I type this, but it's a slim hope that'll fix the problem.
      And I've watched, at least, a dozen or more YouTube videos about the problem, and it's mostly just "update your drivers" or "turn your volume up" kinda things.
      I hope it's not a faulty update, and something Microsoft will pay attention to and fix, but, again, slim hope.
      I appreciate the help, but it looks like I'm stuck just having low sound.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 05:29:19 PM »
      Some other thoughts.
      Laptop speakers are not able to provide as much sound level as one would like.
      The makers to not have a strong policy or grantee as to sound fidelity and level.

There has been some talk of putting a limit on sound volume from devices that might be used by children. One might speculate that MS and others have put a limit on sound volume to meet such recommendations.
      http://lifeandhealth.org/lifestyle/reducing-noise-pollution/1736.html

A solution is to get a portable Bluetooth speaker system that has its own amplifier.

Yevenna

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 07:04:47 PM »
        I have a Win7 desktop and laptop and a Win10 laptop, all of which are having this problem.  And I've had all three of the computers for nearly three years and it's only been the past month this has become an issue.

JordanMihailov

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 02:50:10 AM »

hello, i didn't understand if you installed latest drivers ?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #6 on: December 25, 2016, 06:48:31 PM »
          Do you computers use the  Realtek HI Def ALC660 onboard audio?
          A known issue with windows 7 update and the Realtek drives has been documented elsewhere. In that case the solution was to remove the drivers and then install original drivers.

EDIT: Here is a new link about this problem on Windows 10.
          https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/how-to-update-realtek-audio-drivers/
          I am not using Realtek audio, so I have not tried this.  :)

Yevenna

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 11:52:31 PM »
            I've updated the drivers on both my Win7 desktop and my Win10 laptop and it only seems to have made the problem worse.  Now, instead of just my music/video volume being low, my sound is now extremely muffled.  My volume is now at 100% across the board but I'm only getting about 20% of the level and 5% of the sound.  Honestly thinking this is more of a Realtek issue than a computer one as every forum I've found has stated that after updating the Realtek drivers, sound quality and volume have decreased.
            I'm guessing there's either going to be a fix or people like me who have this problem will have to deal with maximizing the equalizer and adjusting volume through special means.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 01:23:49 AM »
            Honestly thinking this is more of a Realtek issue than a computer one as every forum I've found has stated that after updating the Realtek drivers, sound quality and volume have decreased.
            You are right on it!
            You have two practical ways to resolve this.
            A. Gert a set of all the drives Realtek  has ever used for this device and experiment.
            B. Use an alternative sound device. Possibly a USB sound m,nodule.
            https://sewelldirect.com/learning-center/what-is-external-sound-card
            There are multiple reasons to use a sound card. Let’s list a few good things to help with:
                Connect up to 7.1 surround sound system
                Connect to a Home Theater sound system
                Replacement for a broken sound card
                Spruce up an old laptop
                Recording device – Get multiple microphone ports to record your garage band
                Whatever else you can imagine
            External sound cards overcome all the limitations of the built-in sound system. Professional audio men use these to convert a laptop into a recording studio.
            The come in a wide range of prices.
            https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Electronics-External-Sound-Cards/zgbs/electronics/3015427011
            OR
            http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=external%20sound%20card&Submit=ENE
            Hope that is of some help.