Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows update  (Read 7256 times)

foxygrandma

Windows update
« on: December 24, 2016, 06:57:59 PM »

When I try to install updates, I get this message:

We can’t install some updates because other updates are in progress.
Restarting your computer may help and we’ll keep trying to update.

When I click on RETRY, it checks for updates and shows updates are available  and prepares to install them, but then goes back to the RETRY and does not install them.

How may I correct this?  Thank you, Anna Ruth Baldwin, and Merry Christmas!

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Windows update
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 06:19:36 AM »
Hello Anna... Have you tried this tool here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2714434

Have a Merry Christmas as well  :)

foxygrandma

Windows update
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 08:33:19 PM »
DaveLembke   Again cannot see a reply button.    Anyway, Dave, yes. I have tried that link but will try again.      Thank you.  Anna Ruth Baldwin.    Happy New Year!

foxygrandma

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 08:37:40 PM »
Now I see a reply button on my answer to you, Dave, but never see it when you answer.  ???  Anna Ruth

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 08:14:09 AM »
Hello Anna

If the repair tool doesnt fix it here are your options:

- Identify which update is causing others to fail and try to fix that
- System Restore to an earlier date and then perform updates and maybe get past the one that was hung prior ( back up personal data to external drive first )
- System Repair installation from Recovery media for your computer ( back up your data to external drive first )
- Full System Recovery installation wiping the drive clean and installing fresh like when you bought the computer new. ( back up all your important data to external drive first ).

If you need further help just ask which method your going with and one of us can help you.

Happy New Year ... Sorry I didnt see any mix up with communication with your last thread, but we can go from here on this one I guess  :)

Other thread here on this same subject. I will have a mod lock the other one so we dont have 2 threads going under the same request for help: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,159261.0.html

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 08:26:01 AM »
You had two threads on the same topic. I took the liberty of merging them into this thread.

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 09:04:58 AM »
When I try to install updates, I get this message:

We can’t install some updates because other updates are in progress.
Restarting your computer may help and we’ll keep trying to update.

When I click on RETRY, it checks for updates and shows updates are available  and prepares to install them, but then goes back to the RETRY and does not install them.

How may I correct this?  Thank you, Anna Ruth Baldwin, and Merry Christmas!
What this message is telling you is that Windows can't update certain files because they are currently in use (replacing an "in use" file could cause the system to crash.  You need to restart your computer so Windows can replace those files BEFORE they are run again.  There's no need to download any 3rd party tools.  When you restart your computer you may see a message saying "Windows is now updating,  Don't turn off your computer."  Then, when it shuts down and reboots, you may see another message about Windows updating.  Once you do that and then try updates again, those updates should now be installed.  If not, then do a retry.

foxygrandma

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 02:41:13 PM »

What this message is telling you is that Windows can't update certain files because they are currently in use (replacing an "in use" file could cause the system to crash.  You need to restart your computer so Windows can replace those files BEFORE they are run again.  There's no need to download any 3rd party tools.  When you restart your computer you may see a message saying "Windows is now updating,  Don't turn off your computer."  Then, when it shuts down and reboots, you may see another message about Windows updating.  Once you do that and then try updates again, those updates should now be installed.  If not, then do a retry.

Thank you.        Have done that several times and still does not update.  When I try to send a message I frequently get this:
An Error Has Occurred!
Sorry, you can't repeat a karma action without waiting 2 hours.  Why does that happen?  Thanks.  Anna Ruth

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 03:21:32 PM »
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

foxygrandma

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 03:51:39 PM »

Thank you.        Have done that several times and still does not update.  When I try to send a message I frequently get this:
An Error Has Occurred!
Sorry, you can't repeat a karma action without waiting 2 hours.  Why does that happen?  Thanks.  Anna Ruth

Tried again and still did not work.   Happy New Year