Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Brightness not bright  (Read 2492 times)

Jmp32686

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Brightness not bright
    « on: January 03, 2017, 04:24:35 PM »
    I have 3 new laptops. A Toshiba, an Asus and a Lenova. The problem is that the brightness for the Asus and Lenova is not near as clear/sharp/bright as the Toshiba. They almost have a dull yellow tint to them while the Toshiba is bright and white. The brightness level is maxed out on all. They all have 1920x1080 resolution. They are all set on the high performance power setting. The Toshiba has an i7 processor w 4600 hd graphics card. The Asus has an i7 processor w 5500 hd graphics card. The Lenova has an i5 processor w 520 hd graphics card. What is the problem? Why is the Toshiba noticeably brighter and sharper???

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Brightness not bright
    « Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 04:40:05 PM »
    Apparently this is something new for you. For others this is a common problem. The brightness and clarity of laptop displays various from one brand to another. In fact, even desktop displays very quite a bit. I am using to television sets forth my PC desktop and the quality and brightness of the two variants. It just so happens that the brighter PC display just happens to be the Toshiba. Maybe that's a coincidence.
    Now as to your problem with your laptop.  It is almost always a question of the display electronics and has little to do with the process for or even my graphics chip. In the case of a brand-new laptop variations in brightness and quality of the display would be a reason to return it to the vendor and ask for a refund or exchange.
    Thank you for including photos of the three laptops. This underscores the need for seeing a laptop side-by-side with another before making a  decision to buy ideally one would want to have a laptop that has just as much light output as a good TV set and the clarity that would be equal to or greater than a high-quality television set. So it's wise to actually make a side-by-side comparison before you buy.
    Now back to your question. How can you resolve this? The issue is not something that is adjustable other than the standard controls for brightness and contrast. Too much brightness will make the display fuzzy. Contrast can also affect the clarity of the display. Some screens are just not capable of high contrast. It's just the way they're made.
    Apparently, in your case, the Toshiba would be the best choice. Now I'm not going to say that Toshiba is always the best choice, there are some people that have complaints about Toshiba laptops. By this I can recall, I don't think I've ever heard anybody say that the Toshiba laptop was not bright enough or clear enough. Usually the complaints had to do something else.
    That's all that I can think of. Hopefully some other members of the forum will have some better ideas.
    (this post was done by microphone dictation. Please overlook mistakes in grammar or spelling.)

Jmp32686

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Brightness not bright
      « Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 05:04:56 PM »
      Ok, that makes sense.. It's unfortunate that you cant truly tell the quality of the brightness/sharpness without literally seeing the laptops side by side. There should be a lumens # in the specs or something... Like you said, I obviously just want the same HD quality as I would get w a new HD tv. So if what you say is accurate, you can have 2 laptops w the same screen size, resolution, processor, graphics card, brightness/power settings, operating system, etc. and still be different due to the different brand? Thanks.