Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Word free download  (Read 6972 times)

Cleof

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Re: Word free download
    « Reply #15 on: January 22, 2017, 08:52:11 PM »
    I know WPS as another free word application.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #16 on: January 22, 2017, 08:56:51 PM »
    I know WPS as another free word application.
    Yep, I already said that.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #17 on: January 22, 2017, 09:24:52 PM »
     ;D    ;D
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2017, 05:33:47 PM »
      Okay, you all have been very helpful to me, and patient I might add, and I did download Libre Office.  So today, I'm looking for some old stuff in My Documents that I needed and every time I tried to open something, the "Try Microsoft Office" pops up, as I do not have it.  Or it had an arrow for more apps.  I clicked on Notepad, then Wordpad, and all it gave me was a bunch of weird letters and symbols.  Occasionally it came up where I could open it in Libre Office, but not much.  I think I'm at the point of going ahead and buying Microsoft Word and just forget this whole mess.  New question:  Do I download it online from Microsoft (not fond of that) or go to Best Buy or Staples and just buy it?  When I had Word 2007 on here (before Dell accidentally erased it), anything I wanted to open would open right up.

I'd be in good shape if I "understood" computers as well as you people do and even my old computer dude who worked on my stuff from time to time didn't understand why I didn't know how to do some of the things I should know.  I'm sorry, I just don't get it.  My husband bought me Printmaster to do cards and other projects and it takes me three hours to figure out how to do one card!  I think I'm hopeless...no, I'm too old to learn new tricks, that's it!!!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #19 on: February 04, 2017, 05:54:52 PM »
      There are vendors on eBay that sell early versions of MS Office. Prices vary, they claim to be legal.MS does monitor eBay, so most likely the offers are legal. I se some offer Ofice 2007 for under $35, what is a very reasonable price.

Others sell early versions of Word Perfect.
      Word-perfect is now part of Corel.
      A legal copy of Word Perfect goes for about $20.

The Libre Office documentation claims that Libre Office can recolonize and read documents in old Perfect format.

strollin

Adviser
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #20 on: February 05, 2017, 05:48:54 AM »
      The problem is that you don't have LibreOffice set to be the default app to open doc files.

From within File Explorer, find a document that you wish to open with LibreOffice (.doc or .docx extension) then right-click on it and select "Open with" from the pop-up menu.  From there, you should be able to scroll thru a list of possible programs (should be a short list on your system) and find "LibreOffice Writer".  Select that and then put a check in the box at the bottom that says "Always use this app to open .doc files".

If you don't see file extensions on your files in File Explorer, it's because Windows defaults to hiding extensions.  At the top of your File Explorer window, select the "View" tab and then just to  the right of center you should see a box labeled "File name extensions".  Put a check mark in that box.