Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC keeps restarting and the Heatspreaders on the motherboard are extremely hot.  (Read 3396 times)

Pieter188

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Hi hope you guys are doing well.

I am in need of some computer knowledge. And hoping someone can help me.
    My friend ask me to help him with his computer. It was full of viruses. So instead of trying to remove it I decided to format the hard drive.
    Before I formated it I opened and cleaned out the dust. It has been sitting and collecting dust and crap. Everything was still fine. I removed the
    CPU heatsink cleaned it and the thermal paste. Reapplied new thermal paste.
    Then I went to power on the system. At the startup menu I got prompted with IDE drives not detected press F1 to continue. And since then I could not get the pc up and running.
    Later on I then took the hard drives and connect it to another system. It worked perfectly. I reinstalled windows and everything was great.
    Till I reinstall the drive in the computer. I couldn't get it up and running. After that I decided to use my SSD with windows 10 on to see if it can start up and login to windows.
    I then was met with a restart before windows could load. After that I thought about overheating problems. So I dove in to feel if I can feel something that is overheating. The CPU, graphics card,
    Ram and the onboard chips on the motherboard was extremely extremely hot. Even the heatspreaders on the motherboard was extremely hot.
    The PSU of the system was not the best. The fan was not running all the time and it was extremely stiff.
    So I tooked a know good power supply replaced it in the hopes of fixing the problem.. But it didn't.
    And I don't know what else to do.

My friends pc specs.
    *2Gig DDR ram
    *Nvidia GT 220
    *120gig IDE HDD
    *80Gig IDE HDD
    *Intel pentium 4
    *400Watt PSU

My pc specs.
    *16Gig DDR3 ram
    *Nvidia GTX 660oc
    *120Gig SSD
    *Intel I7 3770
    *650Watt PSU

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    What "known good PSU" did you replace it with ? ?
    You got extremely lucky swappin in HDDs with Win installed from another PC getting it to even boot...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Pieter188

Topic Starter

Starter

I replaced it with a unnamed 400watt power supply.
      xD I know. But that was just to see if it can go past the windows logo sign.
      I cannot boot from a USB flash drive on the system as well. That why I thought about
      formatting on a other system and then swapping the drives before installing any software

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      Until you try a quality PSU it's all guesswork at this point...
      Keep in mind it may be the junk PSU's causing the heat issues to begin with.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      Intel pentium 4

This possibly explains both issues. the Pentium 4 is outpaced only by the Athlon 64 when it comes to running incredibly hot. So the heat you are seeing is probably normal.

The reboot you saw could be caused by the same; Even 32-bit Windows 10 doesn't support the Pentium 4, so it probably hit a bugcheck due to an invalid opcode. (Especially if the SSD had a 64-bit version...) Since you connected the SSD I presume there are SATA connections, but a Pentium 4 system would likely be SATA I, which might not even be fully supported by the SSD.

When you received the "IDE drives not detected press F1 to continue." Did you double-check all the HDD and Optical Drive connections (Both power and Data, as well as the motherboard ribbon connection) as well as Master/Slave Jumpers?

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Pieter188

Topic Starter

Starter

Oky I manage to detect the hard drives. I bought a new IDE cable in the past week. Turns out that , that cable was broken as well so today I got a new cable installed it and all the hard drives work. But now that , that is fixed. My new problem, The CPU is insanely hot. Running at 157 F /70 C. The cpu fan is running at 4700 rpm. Is that normal or is there something else that I  should be worried about. Thanks for all the great help <3

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        That's a little high as a temperature. Only thing you could have messed up would be repasting it.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        Maxxes out at 74 according to intel...people have reported running it as high as 84 with no issues...
        Add some case fans...

JordanMihailov

Rookie

That's a little high as a temperature. Only thing you could have messed up would be repasting it.

The heat can be caused by several things:

1. Have you changed the thermal paste anytime soon?
          2. What cooler are you using to desipate the heat?
          3. Can you check what voltages is the cpu running?

As for the voltage you can use speedfan, coretemp and cpuz programs.