Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Radeon HD 7870 Driver problems.  (Read 5635 times)

RFelizardo

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Radeon HD 7870 Driver problems.
    « on: January 11, 2017, 02:59:52 PM »
    Hey guys! So here is my problem. Basically this started 2 months ago : I got a Yellowish screen with stripes and had to manually reboot my PC. Couldn't get my pc to boot up, only in safe mode. Tried numerous things including repairing and restoring the system but it just wouldn't work. I decided to do a fresh install of Windows 10. Everything went smoothly until I tried installing the AMD driver. I downloaded the autodetect tool and tried installing everything. Next thing I know my pc freezes again. I tried rebooting but had the same problem as before. I was able to go into safe mode. Uninstalled all the amd drivers with the DDU tool. Booted normally and this time tried installing the drivers after downloading the whole crimson package. The installation just stalled at 16% when trying to install the AMD Display Driver and froze up the PC. Had to reboot into safe mode again and use DDU once more. Tried using the AMD removal tool aswell but that was also a no-go. I ran memtest+ without any errors, use sfc scannow without any errors. Have done clean installs of Windows 10 a few times now and still no luck. I decided to try the AMD support forums but nobody seems to have a solution to the problem. I'm trying to also talk with AMD tech people to see if they can figure this out. Meanwhile I was away for 2 months and now I'm back and trying to solve this. I don't think my GPU is dead because I have tried it on a friends system with Windows 7 and it was working fine. I have been able to install the AMD drivers if I do it in safe mode but then my pc freezes while Windows 10 is trying to load. If I boot normally after removing the drivers with DDU, my computer freezes after a couple of minutes. I'm guessing this has to do with Windows trying to install/update the GPU drivers because after I force restart the PC I can see a Microsoft Basic Display Adapter in device manager.

I'm getting seriously frustrated with this and am about to just take the card to a pc shop/clinic near my house just to see what they say about it.

Thanks to anyone that can help!

Rui Felizardo

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Radeon HD 7870 Driver problems.
    « Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 03:15:17 PM »
    Have you removed the card cleaned the contacts and re-seated it in the offending PC ? ?

Also the existing PSU could be the culprit if it's failing...test with a known good one.

BTW DDU is garbage as well and known to cause issues...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

RFelizardo

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: Radeon HD 7870 Driver problems.
      « Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 03:17:03 PM »
      Funnily enough I haven't! Will try that now. Should I first uninstall any remaining drivers with DDU?

EDIT : Tried it and was getting really hopeful because the installer wasn't freezing. Unfortunately it froze once again. This time the screen went black and then green.

EDIT 2 : Did the trick of installing drivers while in safe mode. They installed. When I tried booting normally, the blue windows logo appeared and the dots started spinning but the screen went immediately black and had to hard reset the pc.
      « Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 04:12:43 PM by RFelizardo »