Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows fault prevents charging while power is connected?  (Read 4914 times)

Clayto2

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    Windows fault prevents charging while power is connected?
    « on: January 13, 2017, 06:17:42 AM »
    I see that there have been many posts about 'battery connected but not charging' with various fixes. I think my 2-in-1 hybrid Tablet PC has somewhat distinct and complicated behaviour. When I first had it, a few months ago, if the battery was charging a blue led flickered on and off until full charge, after which it remained on but steady. It turned off  when AC current was disconnected. However, about a month later the flickering ceased so I can no longer tell if charging is taking place until Windows 10 is launched, when a number of gadgets such as BatteryBar and the Windows battery icon provide readouts

If I switch the power off when 100% is reached, and then later, as capacity declines switch it back on, say when it falls to 50% it usually (though not always) will not start charging again although the blue light reappears. Hence the 'battery connected but not charging' state.  This I see as a malfunction. Fortunately, I can deal with it, usually with minor inconvenience, because if I shut down or restart it will begin charging again (fortunately!) --- but I would prefer to be just able to switch power back on to get charging to restart.

At first I thought this was a hardware fault, but soon changed my mind. My device is dual boot, ie.it has both Windows and Android OS ----- and when I switch from Windows to Android the blue light flickers again and the battery is charging. So surely it must be a fault that has developed in the Windows OS, not the machine?

If I am right, how do I find and correct the fault? Nothing I have tried, such as using SFC/SCANNOW, has found it.

Cube iWork 10.1 Ultimate
    Windows 10 Anniversary and Android Marshmallow

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows fault prevents charging while power is connected?
    « Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 07:55:15 PM »
    Is this the  PC tablet?
    http://www.cube-tablet.com/cube-iwork8-ultimate-windows-10-android-5-1.html
    Cube iwork8 Ultimate Tablet use 8 inch screen, with 64bit Intel Z8300 Cherry Trail quad core CPU, has 2GB RAM + 32GB ROM, 2MP front + 2MP back dual camera, and installed Windows 10 & Android 5.1 OS.
    Like you said, many have noticed that the charge and retention of tablets does not seem to be reasonable thing. The principle cause is the lack of QA in the manufacture of the batteries. Replacing the battery is not a good option.

Here are some comments from buyers at Amazon;
    https://www.amazon.com/forum/tablet?cdForum=Fx10P1TJ5MSMHJI&cdThread=Tx2IVHWCKPH553

Others warn you need to be careful when buying a new tablet. The battery life is not stated clearly.

The best you can do is to leave a device on the charger for 12 hours at a time. It should not take that long. But it does.

Caution: Any attempt fast charge a lithium ion battery can results is fire.
    It is not easy to find articles that tell the truth about this. The just want to sell you something.

From another consumer complaint.
    They still have too the problem of different plugs to fast charge these batteries. So the early adopters wanted to buy something good that will be good for many years is almost insoluble. Who to trust and what to do. The ones having bought a leaf recently will never be able to travel with it more then half the range from home so a radius of half the range maximum in summer and less then that in winter.
    He was talking about auto mobiles. The problem is also with small batteries.
    « Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 08:07:11 PM by Geek-9pm »

Clayto2

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 12:47:02 PM »
      Thank you very much, your reply is very helpful, including the Amazon link.

You have found the right family of Cube Tablet PCs but not my model which might be called a 2-in-1 or hybrid, it is larger and a step up re specifications as it is 10.1 display, 4 GB RAM and 64 GB Storage. I understand this is regarded as on the frontier of size for a (small) Laptop --- it has a good keyboard (optional extra) with 2 USB ports plus another 2 on the Tablet itself. I in fact use it as a Laptop, it is just right for my limited needs. (It  replaced  a Quantum View, with the same physical size but RAM and Storage the same as the Cube 8, a bit too small.) I think a major contrast with a full Laptop is that as with almost all Tablets it has not been made to open easily).

I have contact with users who have carefully opened their Cube 10.1 to replace batteries and do other things, which is good news but I would get someone else to do if for me if eventually necessary. Five years life for a battery seems reasonable, but not one to two years, so I am interested in the tips on how best to treat the  battery, both yours and the ones in the Amazon discussion. I think I have generally been doing the right things, mainly short rather than long charging sessions with occasional long ones, not leaving it on charge especially when it is (near) 100% and so on. A utility called Battery Care is now popping up with advice to calibrate as it has done more than 40 cycles, so I expect to do that shortly. When I first had the machine within a couple of days the capacity dropped to near zero, it crashed and nothing would get it started. So rather like your suggestion of a 12 hour charge I left it connected over night just in case and the following morning it booted OK. That situation has not happened again. (At the precise moment that I am typing this, one of my battery apps has warned me of low charge (20%) and the need to plug in --- and this time it has started recharging right away. If only this happened every time I would consider it perfect performance.)

If the problem lies with the battery, not a fault in software, I am puzzled by the difference in charging behaviour between the Windows OS and Android OS. In addition to the Android OS on my Windows Cube I have a Samsung 9.7 Android Galaxy Tablet; and I find it very striking how both Androids have lots of apps available (claiming) to moderate and reduce battery temperature when there is nothing at all comparable in Windows. Why? It is of course exactly the same battery which has a problem in one and not the other.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 12:07:13 PM »
      You have identified the area of concern.
      When batteries have consistent behaviour, a simple software program can chart discharge rate.
      Some Android programs area adaptive. they use tricks to estimate the battery discharge rate. As you said, Android has more choices.
      Infoworld a old rag. Here is what [they say:
      http://www.infoworld.com/article/3149528/android/why-is-stock-android-so-popular.html
      Spdyrel: “I think it's because of bloat, software speed, and update speed. I personally enjoy different phones having little bits of unique features in their launchers/software but sometimes there are just too many "features" that end up taking up space, slowing down the phone, and/or use up battery. Funny though because a lot of these extras end up in "stock" android.”
      Birnikionni: “I hate the no bloat argument. You can say no bloat if you really dont have any like in Cyanogenmod wherr you actively decide how many Gapps you install. But my nexus came with a ton of apps I’m not using. One example is google photos. I don’t know of any other oem that has the guts to force a photo app on someone and not providing a gallery app. Or Hangouts in kitkat - I don’t want to use that crap, give me my sms back, thanks. Or Google plus, why can’t I uninstall it? ”
      Back to the question.
      Windows is not so popular on tablets.  And tablets have battery problems because of size, weight and cost factors.  They are so many more Android developers out there and there are thus more battery charge programs.
      BTW: Microsoft has had some very serious issue trying to port t Windows onto small devices.  Battery fires can bring lawsuits that will cripple sales.

The best I can tell you is to charge your unit every night. Do not use a 'fast' charger. A fast charger will deliver over five volts. The safe spec is for a changer that will deliver just under five volts. Consult the technical manual, if available.
      « Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 12:18:20 PM by Geek-9pm »