Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: UK cell phone SIM card scam has a forum  (Read 4056 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
UK cell phone SIM card scam has a forum
« on: January 13, 2017, 10:35:49 PM »
Moderator. Please read this before you lock it.
Thousands of people have complained about  Freedom pop, a UK company that sells global SIM cards for unlocked GSM devices.
Well, used as directed, the cards work.But they want you to buy more stuff. Then after awhile can have problems and the support people cannot help you. Wait. Itgets worse. Here comes the bad part.
FreedomPop wants you credit card number. But son you will find strange charges made to your account. Thais has happened over and  like an endless echo.
Now the kicker. They have a user forum. Yeah, a user forum.
Look here:
https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/15991/charged-for-a-free-service
I was going to try the just the data rollover, but its says "completely free for the rest of your plan period"
So does the trial end at the same time as your billing cycle? if so then you have to cancel it before then, and then surely your data won't roll over??
If that's right then how is it a free trial? or am I missing something here?
Well, he gets reply that makes it sound alright. The 'forum' goes on to entertain other unhappy users and the response spins to the positive.

I posted this here because I have mentioned this earlier. I had to cancel my credit card. For me an oversight of $90 is not trivial.I am toasting for a refund.

The advertising states you can have free talk, data and text. But you have to read the details, which are not seen the advertising.  If  exceed  the limit,they charge you for the extra time. The is no obvious way to automatically limit your usage.

Apparently the want customers  to be confused. Look asthis:
When I downgraded my Trio SIM the day before the month's free trial ended up popped, there was the offer of 'please accept one month of rollover data as a parting gift'. When I clicked to accept the offer up popped an error message saying 'Error. Unable to process your purchase (sic)' and advising me to contact support.
Again, the moderator gives a nice answer.
Here is more:
I sent Freedompop a message via the main website and within half an hour I received a response. That was it, situation sorted very quickly, efficiently and first time of contact. I cannot fault them on their customer service as it was impressive......and I have worked in call centres so know what pressures they can be under.
So, I complained (or more factually, I had a major dummy spitting whinge) and they apologised, rectifying the situation. No drama, no trying to avoid the situation, just bang!! and it's sorted.
Another...
was charged $12.98 for what FreedomPop says that I had the Global Plus 300 ($4.99) and Premium Plus ($7.99) service which I did not subscribe to. On their website under My Plans, it shows that I have the Global basic which shows $0.00 monthly (and NO Premium Plan). I have disputed the charge with my credit card and do not trust FreedomPop with my credit card information since they apparently charge whatever they want for their "free" service. I will also post this experience to Facebook and other social media so potential customers can be warned about FreedomPop's practices.
These are only the tip of the iceberg.
The Better Business Bureau ans nothing good to say about FreedomPop.

BTW, I now have one free phone number and a SIM card that let's me make a phone call. But I shall not use it very, much. Mayne not a tall.

Now comes the real bad news. Nobody wants to stop them.  Why?
Google this:
who invests in FreedomPop
... it seems that some big investors have put money into FreedomPop. This might be another test balloon that will soon pop.
Who said this?
... partnering with FreedomPop to extend its deep operating relationships and knowledge of, emerging markets and telecoms which will be crucial in helping FreedomPop achieve its global targets… This announcement follows L1’s receipt of clearance from the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States ('CFIUS') to complete its $50 million investment in FreedomPop," the company said in a statement.
Read more: https://sputniknews.com/business/201608301044781259-russia-fridman-startup-freedompop/

Yes, posting here will not change a thing.
Just makes me feel better if a  few of you read it.   :-*

Salmon Trout

Re: UK cell phone SIM card scam has a forum
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 02:14:54 AM »
Freedom pop, a UK company

Just in case anyone thinks us snaggle-tooth Limeys are up to stuff, FreedomPop is a wireless Internet and mobile virtual network operator based in Los Angeles, California. Last I time I checked, that city was in the United States.

We do have mobile (and fixed line) phone companies that promise a lot, make it easy to join but hard to leave, that hit you with unexplained or hidden charges, and take a month of Sundays to put things right. Some of these companies are pretty big. However, you will find this all over the world. This isn't King George trying to screw you over. It's one of your own, buddy.

Some comments from that page, which suggest that some of the problems are due to poor customer service facilities:

I will give FreedomPop their due, I sent an email and within half an hour received a response that I was not expecting. They have promised me a refund and I have received another email saying it is in progress. If I get the refund then I cannot fault their customer service and might reconsider the service as a whole. I rate customer service as important and you only really find out how good a company is by how it deals with problems

I sent Freedompop a message via the main website and within half an hour I received a response. That was it, situation sorted very quickly, efficiently and first time of contact. I cannot fault them on their customer service as it was impressive......and I have worked in call centres so know what pressures they can be under.

So, I complained (or more factually, I had a major whinge) and they apologised, rectifying the situation. No drama, no trying to avoid the situation, just bang!! and it's sorted.

I downgraded my sin=m before the trial period ended, and made sure there were no add ons, and have had no problems that was 3 months ago, I have never been charged on that sim, it is kept mainly as a backup

I was charged $7.99. He promised to call me back, but I have no evidence that this happened. Today I called my secret number only to find that the offices are closed. I called at 3pm CDT.

Despite all this I am a great fan of FP. Since Feb. 2016, I manage 5 accounts for family members, and I stay on top of every little detail that could cost me anything. I get the sense however that FP is over extended

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 06:27:15 AM »
Yep, FreedomPop are a US based company. Their website claims to offer service in the UK although I've never heard of anyone using them. Telecommunications providers over here definitely seem to be a lot better value and less dodgy than the market in the US seems to be.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 03:13:24 PM »
I was wrong. I am sorry.  :'(
Something made me think it was UK.  :-\

EDIT:  Anybody  in the UK can learn more about FreedomPop here:
https://forums.freedompop.com/categories/freedompop-uk
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 04:06:09 PM by Geek-9pm »

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 05:19:09 PM »
I was wrong. I am sorry.  :'(
You're lucky we don't set Rick Astley on you.

Revenge of the Brits

« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 05:30:04 PM by Salmon Trout »