Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to Turn off/Disable Mcafee Temporarily from System Tray  (Read 4549 times)

stew2652

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    How to Turn off/Disable Mcafee Temporarily from System Tray
    « on: January 20, 2017, 07:13:04 PM »
    I have an HP Pavilion laptop with Windows 8.1 .  I want to temporarily turn off/disable Mcafee in the system tray while I install Nero 2015 Classic.  I did not see the options for this, so I searched Google.  The results say "double click the icon, then click Advanced tab".
    There is not an Advanced tab on my home screen for Mcafee Antivirus Plus.  The options I have are Navigation, Manage Security, and the status of the various services of the software, such as Virus and Spyware Protection.  I checked Mcafee support site with no better results.  The forum search only here does not work.  How do I turn off/disable it temporarily?

Thanks

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: How to Turn off/Disable Mcafee Temporarily from System Tray
    « Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 07:51:11 PM »
    Should be under Manage Security...if not try rite cliking the icon and it should have a disable option...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 07:56:51 PM »
    First of all,Ido not have the answer. Instead I have questions.
    Is there some issue with your current system?
    Why would you need to add or change anything?
    Have rum ae a full backup for yur system recently?

If you an not happy with Mcafee Antivirus Plus, you should um-install it completely before changing over to anointer AV. Yo udo not want two AV systems running at the same time.

Here is an article bout how to um-install Mcafee.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Uninstall-McAfee-Antivirus-Plus-2012
    My suggestion is to makes sure you have a full backup at this point.
    If something goes wrong, you can recovery  and get back to where you were.

stew2652

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 08:19:07 PM »
      Thanks for your responses.  The options I have when I click on Manage Security are:

virus and spyware protection - real time scanning is on
      web and email protection - firewall is on
      data protection
      mcafee updates - updates are current
      your subscription is active
      PC and Home Network Tools
      Security Report

I am not having trouble with the software.  I don't want to change anything with it.   I am not unhappy with it.  I do not want to uninstall it.  I want to temporarily disable it while I install software, which is a normal procedure.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 08:59:00 PM »
      What happened with right clik ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 09:33:13 PM »
      Here is a wiki that looks like what you want.
      The idea is to only disable, but not remove the program for a short time.
      http://www.wikihow.com/Disable-McAfee
      McAfee keeps your computer safe from virus infections, but sometimes you may need to disable it in order to install a program, or perform some other advanced task on the computer. You can quickly disable McAfee from its System Tray menu, but what if you need to uninstall it completely? This is where things get a little tricky. See Step 1 below to learn how to disable or uninstall any McAfee product.

Double-click the McAfee icon in the System Tray. This is located in the lower-right corner of the desktop. The icon looks like an "M" in a red shield. If you don't see the icon, click the arrow button at the edge of the System Tray to expand the Tray and display all the icons.
      How that is want your want.  :)

stew2652

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 07:11:44 AM »
        Sorry about the right-click.  I checked and the options listed did not indicate anything about exiting or closing the application.

Thanks Geek for the link.  That looks like exactly what to do.  It tells how to turn off scanning without disabling the entire application.  I guess this is semantics.  I consider disabling software (or hardware) and/or removing it from the system tray different than turning features off or on.  That's why I couldn't find the appropriate option the first time.

I actually did install the software before I posted this topic, but certain parts of the installation at the end (which I call advanced automatic) failed with error code 23.  I was able to open the software afterwards and burn a cd, which is all I needed to do for right now, but I do want to complete the installation.  However, it's going to be one week before I try anything more with it, because I will be using it this coming weekend to burn a cd for somebody, and I do not want to disrupt anything by re-installing the software to prove the point about Mcafee AV.

The Nero forum support said the following in this topic http://forum.nero.com/nero_eng/topics/error_code_23
        Generally the error code 23 issue is caused by the installer.  Please try to download the installer again, and check the MD5 checksum and deactivate the Antivirus during the installation process.