Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I7 or i5 both 6 Gen CPU  (Read 2492 times)

Glennmc7

Topic Starter

Rookie

I7 or i5 both 6 Gen CPU
    « on: January 21, 2017, 11:18:08 PM »
    Glenn McMurrian
    What would be better for in home use like simple browsing and word a I5 with 12 gigs Ram or the I7 with 8 gigs Ram it will be use for basic browsing for the most part with some MS word with somewhere between 6 and 8 tabs open in the browser. Any idea's

laurence w

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: I7 or i5 both 6 Gen CPU
      « Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 10:35:15 AM »
      Both are powerful but really a i5 with 8g of ram is plenty , you will never use the CPU power. Also consider a dedicated video card with its own ram .

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 10:53:27 AM »
      An i5 is overkill for "imple browsing and word", an Atom with 2 Gb can do those.

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 12:37:13 PM »
      An i5 is overkill for "imple browsing and word", an Atom with 2 Gb can do those.

I'd probably suggest a Core i3 given they are cheap and better for streaming video etc. I have two systems with Intel ATOM processors and the n280 and D510 1.66Ghz and both are just about unbearable anymore for regular use and so they are used infrequently for testing and no lengthy computer use. i even thought I'd use them for crunching numbers at 13 watts power draw, but the processor/power ratio comes out to the same output of a Core 2 Duo computer but the Atom processor is the performance with same benchmark as a Pentium 4 2.53Ghz at 1/10th the power consumption of a Pentium 4 2.53Ghz.

I also have a couple year old Celeron M1000 1.8Ghz laptop which is ok, but you have to wait for some stuff to open etc, but its far better than the Intel Atom. I bought a new Dell Laptop with a Core i3 for $279.99 on sale and the Core i3 2.1hz is a fairly good processor. The Celeron M1000 1.8Ghz laptop I bought a few years ago for same price tag of $279.99 and the Core i3 does so much better and at the same price tag. The Intel HD graphics of the Core i3 should be plenty for what they need it for as well without having to go with a dedicated card. If gaming is at all to be performed I'd suggest a video card instead of Intel HD Graphics which are integrated with the Processor as well as Core i5 is best for entry level gaming processing.