Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: problem to connect remoteley to my brother laptop (windows81.1 pro )  (Read 2565 times)

karlosss

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    I have a slow PC(windos xp) and my brother have a good Laptop (windows8.1 pro) and i want to connect from my PC remotely to his laptop(we live in the same room),sorry for my english.So we also have a router and i think i made all the right changes,i also checked on both computers:

-allow users to connect remotely
    -on his computer i create 2 users and then i added both users to ''Select Remote Users''  and everything went perfect i was able to connect remotelly on his laptop but now comes the problem:when he ''shut down'' the laptop I can not connect remotelly to his laptop anymore,how to fix that?

Here are his Ip's and are the only changes i made to the router config.
    Virtual servers:

Code: [Select]
    Service Port    Internal Port    IP Address    Protocol    Status    Modify
                   1    3389    3389            xxx.xxx.0.101    ALL    Enabled    Modify Delete
    DHCP/Adress Reservation

Code: [Select]
    ID     MAC Address        Reserved IP Address        Status     Modify
    1    B0-C0-90-44-69-25    xxx.xxx.0.101    Enabled    Modify Delete
    I use this wan IP to connect remotelly:

WAN
    MAC Address:    00-13-8F-1C-08-3A
    IP Address:    x.xx.201.149    PPPoE(Connect Automatically)
    Subnet Mask:    255.255.255.255

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: problem to connect remoteley to my brother laptop (windows81.1 pro )
    « Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 06:08:05 AM »
    If you're in the same room and therefore on the same local network you shouldn't need to change anything in the router.  Just try to connect from your PC to the laptop's local IP address (the one you get from within Windows, not your WAN IP).

That said, not really sure what you are trying to achieve here, Windows 8.1 will only allow one user to be using the machine at a time, even when one is connecting over remote desktop - If you try to log in it will lock your brother's session on the laptop.

karlosss

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 06:33:32 AM »
      so when i shut his laptop on my session appears WINDOWS SHUTTING DOWN and now is down...i try to connect and everything seems to be dead, not connecting, this is the only problem i have

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 07:35:25 AM »
      If his laptop is shut down, you cannot connect - it's off. The network is only accessible when the system is up.

strollin

Adviser
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 08:45:19 AM »
      Your brother can logoff from his user account to allow you to use the computer but shutting down will not work.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 09:25:22 AM »
      Heads up guys that he resurrected/bumped this one: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,159330.msg956964.html#msg956964

Additionally here is PM he gave me that I didnt respond to:

Sent to: DaveLembke on: January 01, 2017, 01:35:35 PM »

Hi about this thread:
      http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,159330.0.html

Yes i want to connect remotelly to his computer then he don't use it and work there, is faster , more rams etc..but i don't know how to set static ip,can u help meeverything working perfect but wwhen he SHU DOWN his laptop..the remote connection ''dies'' to, i'm not able to connect anymore, is DOWN,what to do ?

i know a trick to use 1-2-3 or more users his windows8.1
      thank you

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      « Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 09:41:43 AM »
      I don't provide help in PMs so I'll reply to your PMs here
      ok i agree when he shut downs the laptop...i want to use it then  his local lan ip is: xx2.168.0.101
      I connect and working fine...but when shut's down the pc...i am not able to connect anymore and about allowing only 1 user hehe...i have a small tool wich allows unlimited users but not this is the problem, the only problem i have is...when he shuts down his Laptop he receive the message:  soemeone else use this pc...if u shut down he will not save work etc.. My brother when finish his work always choose shut down
      so when i shut his laptop on my session appears WINDOWS SHUTTING DOWN and now is down...i try to connect and everything seems to be dead, not connecting, this is the only problem i have

If he's turning the laptop off then you need to talk to him and tell him to leave it on when you are using it.  If you are doing this without his permission then we aren't going to help you - It's his computer, not yours, if you want to share the usage of it then he should be fully aware of what you are doing.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 10:01:08 AM »
      To all concerned, I just sent the OP this message:
      Please DO NOT use Private Messages to request technical assistance. All requests and responses belong on the forum. Thank you.