Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Poor display quality in WIndows 10  (Read 6639 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Poor display quality in WIndows 10
« on: January 23, 2017, 06:53:40 PM »
dictation...
When ever I use Windows 10, I have a hard time adjusting the display resolution to have a quality that works for me. I have difficulty reading very fine print so I have to use a magnifier or some type of device the font size on the screen.
This is going to take me about 20 min. to get this post ready. I'm going to go ahead and post this and take a screenshot of my post and then attach the screenshot. No, I don't think I'll do that. Instead I will just inserted as a full-size image. But what I'll do is I'll crop off part of it so it takes less bandwidth and now s save and serve it as a H color GIFF image so that you can see what I see.I normally use Firefox and I usually have to use the plus button to improve the readability of the text. So what you see in the image will be what I am seeing in the browser.
Now here's the problem. The first image I'm going to show is made inside of Windows XP and then it is simply cropped and saved as and eight color GIFF image and placed on my own website. So it will not take up bandwidth of the form and it will be a real image of the raster.
After I get through posting it, I will take another screenshot in Windows can and you can compare them side-by-side and see the difference in the text quality. For some reason Windows 10 doesn't seem to handle the font as well as Windows XP. I can't figure it out. I am sure it is not a function of the browser, because I have the same problem even with Perl programs that don't use a browser.

later...
Windows XP raster

Windows 10 raster

Can you see any difference? I don't understand. The screenshots look the same, but I have a hard time reading it in Windows 10.  Am I allergic to Windows 10 ???
Any help welcome.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 07:44:54 PM by Geek-9pm »

DaveLembke

Sage
Re: Poor display quality in WIndows 10
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 07:50:47 PM »
What GPU are you using with Windows 10.

My one Athlon II 215 2.7Ghz system that has the integrated nVidia 6150SE graphics I didnt like the difference between Windows 7 and 10. With Windows 7 everything is crisp looking. With Windows 10 for some reason even going with nVidia drivers for Windows 8 64-bit because they dont have Windows 10 64-bit drivers for the GeForce 6 Series it looked noticeably worse than Windows 7 64-bit.

My solution was buying a ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB video card for $29.99 which had Windows 10 64-bit drivers. Now picture quality is sharp between both 7 and 10.

Not sure if your dealing with same issue. For me the text looked fuzzy like there was a blur shadow and it was annoying. Everything was sharp with the video card upgrade as well as videos and games played better with the video card vs the weak integrated video of the GeForce 6150SE. Also shared system memory was then freed up to be used by the system since the video card I added has its own 1GB.

Also what do you have for a monitor... should you upgrade its size to have larger text etc?

Just saw your edit with pics. Looks similar to the problem I had with my integrated nvidia 6150SE with grainy windows boxes. But I dont see the shadowing text blur that i had with win 10 using windows 8 64-bit drivers.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 08:08:58 PM »
I don't see a difference i n the screenshots, except that the Win10 has some noise, but I presume that may be from the conversion.

You should be using the Native Resolution of your Monitor (if it's an LCD) and not changing the resolution lower to make fonts larger (Instead adjusting DPI settings), as doing so introduces scaling artifacts on LCD screens which could account for why you are having trouble with the display, as well as why the issue doesn't seem to be in the screenshots.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 10:39:20 PM »
Thank you both.
Yes, the noise is from the GIF conversion. I used GIF to avoid the blur you get from JPEG. In Windows 10 I was not about to control the way the GIF palette was set. That noise is called error diffusion or dithering.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dither

Anyway, I found that in XP my resolutions is at 1280 x 768 and looks good on this big TV set I use. It is in VGA .

In Windows 10 the resolution is set to 1360 x 768 and looks a bit pale. You can not see it in the screenshots. But my eyes say there is a difference.

The is a Dell Optiplex 745 ultra small form desktop. The built-in adapters an
Intel Q965/q963 Express.
For XP the drivers are from Dell.
For Windows 10 the drives are from Microsoft.

I am thinking I might ha veto stop using the litter thing and use the larger desktop so I can try another video card.
Meanwhile, it looks good in XP,but not in Windows 10.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 06:13:59 AM »
For Windows 10 the drives are from Microsoft.

There's your difference...

Have you tried other fonts as default ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 01:51:10 PM »
Patio, I don't know how to change fonts in Windows 10.  :'(

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 02:10:31 PM »
Windows Vista and later do not readily expose system font options. It requires a registry edit (Assuming it still works)

What resolution is the TV? or failing that, what model number is it?

I'm thinking it may be a 1280x720 model, which would explain the issue as the windows10 system is farther from that native resolution than the XP one and the scaling could cause issues. I also don't see it in the images which  leads me to think it is related to the monitor and/or it's connections.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.