Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Does any one own a Samsung UN40J6200AFXZA 40-Inch Display 1080p Smart HDTV LED  (Read 2163 times)

John1397

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Experience: Beginner
    I have opportunity to get Smart TV from Samsung should be a good brand is the internet part of any use is what I am wondering?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Smart TV means you can stream content. I myself have a Dumb TV Flatscreen and I use a Roku to give it some smart features.  :P

Salmon Trout

I have a Samsung smart TV (not that model) and it has apps like Youtube, and many others available. Even without paying for internet streaming there is a lot you can do. If it has a DLNA client (they usually do) you can stream stuff from your home network. If I was choosing a new TV now I would always go for a smart one.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    I also have a Samsung (and a Sony) Smart TV (again, not the exact same model) - They are pretty good for what they are - Provides an easy way to access various online streaming services such as YouTube, Netflix along with various "catch up" TV services from various TV channels and networks.  That said, I tend to not use the smart features that often as I have a PC plugged into my TV for that sort of stuff (there's a couple of services that the TV does not support).  Personally I wouldn't pay a fortune more for a Smart one, but at the time I bought mine the price difference was like £50 so that seemed worth it.

The only real issue I can see with Smart TVs is that you are at the mercy of Samsung to continue to support the various "apps" - If a provider (e.g. Netflix) changes their systems several years down the line and Samsung don't release a software update to your TV then Netflix will no longer work.  On the plus side, except for the removal of Skype and some Samsung Social thing (neither of which I've ever used), this hasn't happened to anything on my TV yet.

My Samsung one is also pretty good in the sense that the "smart" stuff doesn't get in the way, unless you press the button to launch it you barely even see any of the smart functionality.  This is a contrast to my Sony TV (which was a fairly early Smart TV, circa 2011) which could be a bit of a pain where you would turn on the TV and have to wait for 5 mins for it to do a software update.

Salmon Trout

I also recently got a Panasonic hard disk PVR with Freeview Play (which won't mean a lot to non-UK members) which can access a bunch of catchup services via wi-fi from my ISP's router, and has apps too, and it would turn any dumb TV into a smart one. My Samsung TV is a 2012 model and it is pretty unobtrusive, you would hardly know it was smart unless you press the Smart Hub button on the remote.