Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dual Operating Systems  (Read 3037 times)

Novel8

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    Dual Operating Systems
    « on: January 28, 2017, 11:58:20 AM »
    I never installed such a system until now, with Win 10 and Win 7 on the same sata HD. I also installed the FireFox browser in each one. Unbeknowst to me, I found out unfortunately, once I make a change on a profile in FF in Win 10, it also affected the FF version in Win 7. Is this normal for a dual OS? If it is, then what is the purpose of having dual OS. I did it because I wasn't sure I will like Win 10, and I didn't want to lose Win 7, so I upgraded Win 10 and cleanly reinstalled Win 7 with my disc. Of course I backed up important files and Win 10 did create "Old Windows" folder.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Dual Operating Systems
    « Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 12:29:52 PM »
    That shouldn't of happened at all....they are seperate.

How exactly did you setup this dual-boot ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Novel8

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: Dual Operating Systems
      « Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 01:58:33 PM »
      I already had Win 7 on my hd and created separate partitions to put OS in each one. Then I did the upgrade Win 10 OS with the tool that was recommended by microsoft. Like I said, once done, it created a folder of Win 7, marked "OldWindows". Then with my Win 7 disc, I did a clean installation of it, thinking I could get some programs and files from that old windows folder. As far as Firefox, it was not working correctly in Win 7. I installed FF for the first time in Win 10. ..even that wasn't working right. Days of tweaking, I finally got Win 10 FF working just fine. So that in mind, I started tweaking Win 7's FF and not having any luck at all. The next time I went to use FF in Win 10, it was all screwed up again and then it hit me, the tweaking I was doing with the Win 7 version, somehow screwed my good win 10 version. So far i am staying away tweaking Win 7 version until I find a way  and try to get FF to work in win 7, that it  won't affect the Win 10 version. Sorry for the yata de yata.