Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How Does Wireless Charging Work?  (Read 5983 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
How Does Wireless Charging Work?
« on: January 30, 2017, 04:21:01 PM »
Someday you will use computer that has no power cord. Many smart phones are almost there already. They can recharge w without  using the charger cord.

How Does Wireless Charging Work?

Wireless charging as a concept has been around since inventor and physicist Nikola Tesla first concluded that you could transfer power between two objects via an electromagnetic field, said Ron Resnick, president of the Power Matters Alliance, which has a wireless charging protocol.
That can help prevent this:

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: How Does Wireless Charging Work?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 06:27:15 PM »
It works via Electrical induction.

The reference to Tesla is weird. He seems to get inserted all over the place in anything related to power, wireless, or electricity. he had nothing to do with the discovery of electrical induction, though, given it was discovered by Michael Faraday over 20 years before he was born.

Next thing we'll be hearing that Nikola Tesla invented the Faraday cage.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 07:48:04 PM »
Before diving into the Nick Tesla thing, some details need to be outlined.

https://www.wirelesspowerconsortium.com/data/downloadables/1/2/4/6/magnetic-resonance-or-magnetic-induction.pdf

Electromagnetic Induction is most often used in power supplies and audio applications.
But for applications like smartphones, a higher efficiency is desirable. So resonant induction is used to transmit moderate power of a distance of  a fraction of an inch.

© The Wireless Power Cons
The Alliance for Wireless Power offers only one choice: “single coil, loosely coupled, resonant”. That configuration is not optimal for all applications. The  WPC believes that product developers need  more options to choose from. The solution “single coil, loosely coupled, resonant” is just one of the  options offered by the Wireless Power Consortium.
There is controversy over this technology.  I posted this here so that others could understand some of the background stuff.

There are some very strange stories about the the history of electricity
Men Who Discovered Electrical Phenomena
Tesla is given credit for some discoveries.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/5-things-you-didnt-know-about-nikola-tesla/

I did not intend to start  a debate about Tesla, rather I want to draw attention to the need to pay attention to new protocols and standards being offered for portable devices. Namely, wireless charging  cradles for  smartphones.

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 07:49:05 PM »
I personally prefer that they keep electricity the way it is on the small scale for wireless power transmission and everything else a wired connection. Because a strong enough inductive field could degauss the planets core. The planets magnetic core has been weakening and the earth has had its poles flip NS SN NS SN many times in the past. The field is weakening faster now than in past history 5% per 10 years vs per 100 years and wouldnt it be interesting if the power transmission we have on the surface is somehow affecting the cores field and causing the cores field to weaken faster than naturally. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/earth-s-magnetic-field-flip-could-happen-sooner-than-expected/

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 08:49:28 PM »
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "degauss", Dave. Degauss only applies to "remnant" dipole magnetic fields, such as those in a typical bar magnet.

The Earth's Magnetic field is not a remnant magnetic field, though; it is an active one, generated via the geodynamo created by the rotation and convection of the Earth's molten outer iron core. You cannot "degauss" such a field; the changing strength of the magnetic field and the occasional reversal is due to changes in the movement of the outer core fluids.

eliminating the Earth's magnetic field would require greatly slowing the Earth's Rotation or solidifying the core; For example, Venus has a molten Iron core, but it has no substantial magnetic field because it takes longer than a Venusian Year for a single rotation; conversely, Mars has a rotation similar to Earth, but because it has a mostly solid core, there is no conductive fluid to form a dynamo and generate a magnetic field, so it's magnetic field is a largely a remnant dipole field.

At any rate, the major problem with induced fields at a larger scale is largely one of efficiency. If we apply this to a PC, If  there is no power cord- where does the power come from? If it works like smartphone chargers, it would be sitting on an inductive plate- which itself is plugged in, so I think saying there is no power cord in such a scenario would be a bit misleading.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 10:36:29 PM »
Dictation.
We're a long way from ever building a magnetic induction device that would shift the Earth's magnetic field. Still, concern for environmental damage is a consideration with new devices that are being manufactured. Some reports claim that wireless charging devices are not friendly with the  environment. That's debatable, and in the future it will become clear.
But back to the reason why I put this here. There are presently two different interests that are claiming to be the standard for the wireless charging technology. These two clashing groups are going to make it difficult for us consumers. If you buy the wrong device, you will end up with an orphaned device that in future years will not be usable. This is a sad situation, the differences in wireless charging technology are not so huge that we need to have two conflicting standards for the technology.
Let me recap something I mentioned earlier. There are two kinds of wireless charging technology in use at the present time. One is simple induction that requires both the transmitter and receiver to be closely coupled, so  rack , holder or  a cradle to  keep the smart phone within one centimetre of the inductive transmitter. That type of device has moderate efficiency and a rather simple design. A common example of this would be the rechargeable toothbrush. Certainly you don't want to brush her teeth with something that's plugged into electrical socket. By making the cordless toothbrush wireless it becomes a very desirable and practical device.
The other way is use of a assonant inductive coupling. This is cool, but pricey.
And let's talk about smart phones. With smart phones you could go either way, either a simple inductive device or the other kind of device that's called our RF  wireless charging technology. This kind of technology has some benefits and also has some serious disadvantages.
One of the benefits of the RF method is that the device does not have to be carefully positioned over the transmitter. Also, it's possible to charge two or more devices at once if the transmitter is in the form of a bowl or cradle that would hold more than one device. Now about the downside. It costs more. And the efficiency is very poor.
There would be less need for any of this wireless charging technology if the manufactured had made better electrical connectors. Some electrical connectors being used in present-day cell phones are despicable. Apparently the schools are no longer teaching people anything about mechanical engineering. At least it looks that way. It should not be so hard to make electrical connector that is reliable, easy-to-use and cost-effective.
There are some applications where the wireless technology is almost a necessity. One case would be with medical devices that have to be worn or even inserted into the body of a patient. In these devices can be recharged with the RF technology, it would be more cost effective than having somebody going into and out clinic three times a year to have his batteries checked. Cutting somebody open just to check the charge in his batteries is a risky procedure.
But in order for this technology to succeed, it has to be accepted by the masses to bring the cost down. So the manufacturers of wireless charging technology are going to be pushing more and more of their PR into convincing people that they really want to have these devices in their life.
The point I wanted to make with this post was the need for the average user to pay attention to what's going on in the marketplace and being aware that you will have to make a decision about whether not you want this technology in your life.
Now about this business with Tulsa. Long ago he wanted to explore the idea of transmitting electrical power over long distances without the use of wires. At first this seems like a fantasy, but there is some logic to what he wanted to do. Transmission of electrical energy over long distances using copper wire is not really very cost effective at all. Actually, it is more effective to put down a pipeline for natural gas and run natural gas into local generating stations. Do the math. What does it cost to put in these huge monster towers that carry 100,000 V over a distance of 500 miles? Then after doing that, figure out how much energy can you transmit through a steel pipe carrying natural gas? Natural gas is almost as free as hydroelectric energy. Well, when you consider the cost of building a dam, hydroelectric energy is not really free at all anyway. So you have the dilemma of choosing between hydroelectric power for natural gas power. Many people believe that hydroelectric energy is much better than natural gas. But that's debatable.
About the wireless charging technology. Is it really scalable? Could it really be in large to the point of where you could transmit a large amount of power over a distance of say 100 miles at a reasonable efficiency? Well, using our present knowledge, the answer would have to be no. It's very difficult to find microwave equipment that will generate more than 10,000 W of microwave energy at a reasonable efficiency. If you have a massive array of microwave transmitters, you have the problem of trying to synchronize all these transmitters of the Therrien phase. And even if you did that, there is the hidden health and safety issue. Imagine the somebody is flying around in a hang glider and he drops down to the altitude of these microwave towers and he gets sapped by 10 MW of microwave energy. That would be very bad news.
Anybody who wants to do more research on this idea of wireless charging technology can search on the following keywords:
Wireless Power Transmission.
And of course the acronym for this is WPT.

Another miss concept is about whether not the wireless charger could interfere with radio and television reception. The answer is yes. That is why some of the current technologies are restricted to use frequencies that have already been allocated to microwave ovens. At the present time microwave ovens are supposed to be on the frequency of 916 MHz. This means that that frequency cannot be used for much of anything else except some kind of high-power transmission. That frequency now is ruined for you sass a form of radio or television communication. Of course, if the transmission is very stable and does not have a wide bandwidth, it doesn't present much of a hazard to radio communication.
As for myself, I have mixed feelings about this. I don't like the idea of using a technology that's expensive and not efficient. But on the other hand, I don't like the mass of wires it accumulating in my workspace. It's a safety hazard. Someday I'm going to trip over this mess of  wires and break a leg.
End of dictation.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 12:04:26 PM »
Nick Tesla
I didn't realise you were such close buddies.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 12:48:23 PM »
I didn't realise you were such close buddies.
Here is rare foto of us.
;D

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 10:58:08 AM »
Regarding phones, I don't see this wireless charging concept to be very practical, particularly when thinking about charging away from home or even charging from different locations at home.  Carrying a wireless charging device around seems more cumbersome than carrying a conventional charger.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 11:38:14 AM »
Charging with a wire connected to a wall wart or a USB port, at least you can move the device around and use it while it is charging.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 06:17:01 PM »
I've got a wireless charger for my Nexus 6, basically i just set the phone on top and it charges.

The main advantage over using a connection- aside from not having the negligible hassle of plugging it in, is that there is no wear on the charge port.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 10:00:42 PM »
The main advantage over using a connection- aside from not having the negligible hassle of plugging it in, is that there is no wear on the charge port.
So true! Out family has lost two smartphones because the  connector does not stand up to daily inserts.  You pay $35 for a new phone. Or else pay a tech to replace a $2 connector and he wants $20 for his work. And in six months do it again. The price is dropping. They will go under $10 as market demand.goes up.
Even, eBay has some under $7, so the technology is not expensive.